Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys and girls need some help here. I have an almost plastic rubbing sound coming from my front axel when I’m 4hi tans turning. Now I just got the Jeep has been about 3 weeks took it off road first week I got it had it in 4 hi and didn’t make the plastic rubbing chirping sound. But does it on concrete. Only reason testing on concrete because I seen the drive shaft slip boot is torn and so is the cv boot. U joints are centered and in place. No clunking while turning and no vibrations.
is this a new thing? Lol thanks in advance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You will typically hear noises when turning in 4WD on any type of dry pavement. You are causing major stress on the driveline components as they fight to cause a tire to slip since at least one front and one rear tire must rotate at the same speed.

My recommendation is don’t use 4WD on dry pavement. Find an area with loose surface material and check to see if you hear the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Hey boys and girls need some help here. I have an almost plastic rubbing sound coming from my front axel when I’m 4hi tans turning. Now I just got the Jeep has been about 3 weeks took it off road first week I got it had it in 4 hi and didn’t make the plastic rubbing chirping sound. But does it on concrete. Only reason testing on concrete because I seen the drive shaft slip boot is torn and so is the cv boot. U joints are centered and in place. No clunking while turning and no vibrations.
is this a new thing? Lol thanks in advance.
You're not supposed to use 4WD on the pavement. You can tear things up by doing so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was only doing it to test the drive shaft because of the torn cv boot. And wasn’t in an area where I could get off road to see what the issue was and to see if the the drive shaft was even still good.
I may be new to jeeps but not 4 wheel drive vehicles. It’s definitely not a good noise that’s for sure. Pavement or not. Just weird it only does when turning.

I’d love to send y’all the video and see what y’all think. Or I could post on YouTube and send y’all the link on here

·
Registered
28 Posts
So it stops as soon as you put it back into 2WD? My first impression is it sounds like worn and slipping splines. The driveshaft telescopes with two splined tubes that fit inside each other. I wonder if these splines are slipping relative to each other. You mentioned that the boot was torn, wonder if the splines are worn enough to have enough play for the splines to slip under load. In 4WD and on a grippy surface like pavement the front and rear axles want to turn at different speeds. That load needs an outlet, if the drivetrain is sound the tires will slip/scrub. In this case maybe the splines in the telescoping part of the front driveshaft are relieving the force by slipping relative to each other. Once in 2WD this the transfer case is open and this load is gone, no slip and no noise. Just a thought. Maybe mark a line across these splines on the two sections of the telescoping joint and try again, when you hear the noise stop then check to see if the marks line up?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
That could be a lot of things, but one thing is for sure.... it ain't good! I would agree... sounds like splines.... or a stripped tcase
It's a new jeep to you so first thing I would look at is an aftermarket regear... Is the front and rear geared the same. Some people never use 4wd so they cheap out in a regear and just do the rear. Mismatched gears would strip splines and bust tcases among other things.

Short of that you're going to have to climb under and track down exactly where the noise is coming from... axle, drive shaft or tcase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here the problem boys. It’s the ujoint hitting my ball joint when I turn and it stretches. Had new ball joints put in last week. And they put 2 totally different lower ball joints and didn’t even put my grease fitting in because they couldnt. What idiots. Needless to say I’m livid and they’ll be hearing from me. And this is why warranty work isn’t worth it because they do dumb shit like this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The right side of the photo is the top of the lower ball joint. As you can see hardly enough room to get a piece of paper between the 2

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I’m almost 99% positive this is it. As far as the slip boot and cv boot I’ll be replacing those my self. And plan to save my money for new bulked up drive shafts. And wait for these to start going out while I got the new ones in the garage on standby. Might as well get what I can get out of the stock parts which this is really the only thing stock on the Jeep at this point. I’ll keep y’all up to date on how everything goes. Dreading having them touch my jeep again with shitty work like this.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Here the problem boys. It’s the ujoint hitting my ball joint when I turn and it stretches. Had new ball joints put in last week. And they put 2 totally different lower ball joints and didn’t even put my grease fitting in because they couldnt. What idiots. Needless to say I’m livid and they’ll be hearing from me. And this is why warranty work isn’t worth it because they do dumb shit like this.
Yeah... I'm not sure I buy that. It's not a clunking scraping sound in that video and there doesn't seem to be any scraped material there. The video sound was clearly quite ratchety... but hey if you think that's it then maybe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It didn’t do this until after the ball joint replacement. Im taking it to my uncle who own a diesel shop and get it on a lift and stethoscope the shit out of everything but I’m almost positive this is it there no room at all and there’s no wear because that’s as much as I ran it was in that video I didnt drive like that for miles let alone but 20 yards. And it’s caked with grease. Only does it when I turn. If it was the gears or bearing it’d be doing it the whole time it in 4 wheel drive. Or so you’d think. You know how it goes sometimes. But I have a good/bad feeling this is our problem here boys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s a very lite sounding clunk. Not so mich bass or anything to it. Not very solid. Literally sound like that u joint just barely clipping that ball joint. I bet if I ride like that long enough it’ll wear it’s self down and stop lol Ive heard of people grinding them as well but not doing that. I need to be able to grease it and you can’t even fit a flat head between that. Look at that picture and try to Imagine when that front engages and then you turn and those knuckles start to move around and when you drive straight it has the clearance. I can try to take a picture tomorrow while it’s in 4wheel with the wheel turned.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Am I missing something? Without manual locking hubs, that u-joint spins in 2WD, so if that was the issue you should have the noise every time you turn, whether or not you are in 4WD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unless we’re having a problem with it engaging? But I find that hard to believe. You can feel it kick in especially in 4 low and does the same thing when I turn in 4 low

1 - 20 of 39 Posts