Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Or we have a transfer case problem. Just find it weird that it only does this while turning. If it was ring and pinion or bearings or anything else for that matter. “You’d think” it’d do this no matter what

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well road is wet today and doesn’t seem to doit until you make a90 degree turn. Not like yesterday where it was completely dry and any little movement in the wheel it’d doit. Going to try and mind an old service road or something and see if it does this off road. May just be because it’s on concrete.

·
Super Moderator
22,450 Posts
well first thing that comes to mind is being it started right after you installed new ball joints is that the when the axle shaft was put back one of the little plastic centering rings got messed up and pushed thru the seal or something like that. It really does not sound like metal on metal to me but my ears are old and my brain is slow. one easy way to eliminate the T/C and drive shaft is to pull the front driveshaft. That would be probably quicker than driving to find an old service road and will do less damage to whatever is the issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i was started to think the same thing. Only reason I’m so confused is because of it only doing it while turning. I’m going to call the shop who did this and try to drop it off over the weekend.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would say only doing it when turning because that’s when there’s extra stress put on the front drive components. That’s why it did it with the slightest turn on dry pavement (wheels won’t slide to relieve stress), is only doing it at full lock on wet pavement (tires slide easier on wet pavement, but not enough to relieve the higher stress at full turn), and doesn’t do it on loose surface (tires slide easily on loose surface so never enough stress on drive components to cause whatever is slipping to slip). I am thinking like another poster that you are jumping gear teeth or splines somewhere between the TC and the front axles.

Best of luck finding the problem, but I would not be continuing to replicate the problem while trying to figure it out as you may well be causing more damage every time you hear that click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey boys and girls need some help here. I have an almost plastic rubbing sound coming from my front axel when I’m 4hi tans turning. Now I just got the Jeep has been about 3 weeks took it off road first week I got it had it in 4 hi and didn’t make the plastic rubbing chirping sound. But does it on concrete. Only reason testing on concrete because I seen the drive shaft slip boot is torn and so is the cv boot. U joints are centered and in place. No clunking while turning and no vibrations.
is this a new thing? Lol thanks in advance.
If the driveshaft boot is torn check the CV joint at the end to see if the rubber boot is also torn if it is and the grease is gone you will need to replace the CV or the whole driveshaft .Also if the rubber cover on the shaft is torn it might be rubbing on the exhaust pipe this is common on jeeps that are lifted

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I’d replace the whole drive shaft and get an aftermarket one if that’s the case. The angle on this thing is horrendous anyways. And both the slip boot and cv boot are Infact torn. There’s an after market exhaust and it’s routed to where it’s not going to hit the front drive shaft. I did try my best to get some grease in there though. And found a little bit of mud to test our slipping theory. And it’s still doing it but not as bad I get a more turn out of it before it start doing it again. But I’m done trying to figure it out. The only reason I wouldn’t think it’d be the drive shaft is because it isn’t loose at all it’s tight as can be. And as far as gear slipping the only reason im hesitant on that is because of the whole turning issue no problems at all while going straight. It’s very odd. It’s beyond us now boys did what I could besides mechanically getting in there and I don’t feel like pulling the diff and having to get gear fluid and all that Jazz. Being that it’s still under warranty I’ll have my uncle look at it first. He owns his own shop. And then take it back to the folks who did the work for the ball joints depending on what we find. I’ll keep y’all posted I appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
well first thing that comes to mind is being it started right after you installed new ball joints is that the when the axle shaft was put back one of the little plastic centering rings got messed up and pushed thru the seal or something like that. It really does not sound like metal on metal to me but my ears are old and my brain is slow. one easy way to eliminate the T/C and drive shaft is to pull the front driveshaft. That would be probably quicker than driving to find an old service road and will do less damage to whatever is the issue.
I dunno... you would think if it was an axle shaft issue of any kind one of the first things you would see is oil out of the tube ends.

One thing noted however... it's not making noise in 2wd or on slippery surface. Now that doesn't completely eliminate the front axle from possible fault, but it does make it less likely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unless the outer shaft seals are good?We’re thinking they may have messed up the debris ring or oil sling ring the plastic ring for the inner shaft seals. Hopefully they aren’t sitting inside my diff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But like someone said on here before it could also be the bearing on that cv joint because of the strain when turn it more than likely flexes and it’s pretty much maxed out sitting on flat ground and wheels straight. The angle of that drive shaft is crazy. But it’s solid there’s no play in it what so ever. Rear looks good though. I’ll probably be getting after market axles all around if that’s the case but I want to get what I can get out of all my stock parts before I start replacing things. Or atleast have the after markets sitting on stand by for when they do fail. I’m praying it’s not a transfer case or diff issue. Or I’ll be going to the junk yard. Too many variables are coming into play not really going to know what it is until you get it on an actual lift and start taking shit apart. I do know one thing it doesn’t sound like a deep metal clunking or grinding sound. It literally sounds like plastic. Or like a soda can on the back tire of a bike lol but you can feel it when you grab the shifter for the 4wd

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I dunno man!
total guess work. It seems to do it more while turning which may suggest something to do with the spider gears.

You're going to need to track down exactly where the noise is coming from. Tape a a mic down there in various places and see where the noise is loudest then take it from there. That's the only thing I can suggest at this point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ya I got a go pro I might use
i think I’m going to get it on a lift and see what happens when I turn and everything on a lift so we can be under while it’s doing it and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Did you figure out the source of your noise? Curious to know what it ended up being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry boys! I forgot! We’ve came to the conclusion that it was the slip boot hitting the heat shield going to get a new drive shaft maybe the Adams drive shaft for buy the drop brackets for the exhaust to lower it some. Took diff cover off all was good in there thanks god!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Sorry boys! I forgot! We’ve came to the conclusion that it was the slip boot hitting the heat shield going to get a new drive shaft maybe the Adams drive shaft for buy the drop brackets for the exhaust to lower it some. Took diff cover off all was good in there thanks god!
Can you snap a quick picture of where they were making contact? OCD in me needs to see something shiny for closure.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Hard to tell, as mentioned it can me a lot of things. I would chalk the parts you think are scraping, you'll know in short order if there is "slight" contact real fast.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts