Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 laredo which I just drove 240 miles from Georgia to Nashville. It looks like the 4wd is engaged. The indicator is off but when I turn the wheel all the way it's engaged. Will I ruin anything going home Sunday interstate speeds if I can't get it out of 4wd. Or did I already do damage. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn the wheel all the way to one side and go in a circle and jeep jumps as the fronts are engaged. I'm assuming so you know what that means.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
My jeep does the jump when I have it in 2wd....and I know it's not engaged because it'll lose traction but only spin the rear tires....maybe if you have snow or gravel or grass take it there and step on it see if just back end spins. Is it stick or automatic?

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Any update? Was that the problem? If that wasnt it I guess we can try the vacuum lines

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my job I travel alot with a band had to park the jeep in Nashville and met up with the rest of the band and headed to Louisville lastnite, Evansville tonight. Will get dropped off Sunday to drive back to Atlanta. I'll have to mess with it then. Major snow storm forecasted for late Sunday nite into Monday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
TURCK..u sure ur wheels are not rubbing the leaf-springs when on full lock..turning??..another way to tell if ur in 4wd...is when in 2WD..get underneath and turn ur front driveshaft by hand....it should spin freely!!...when in 4WD..u wont move it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well when I got dropped of at my jeep I checked the front drive shaft and I could not move it. I checked the vacuum lines the best I could but it would not come out. I got on the interstate and you could tell it was in 4wd. I pulled over to the shoulder moved the shifter in and out while also going forward and then in reverse and it disengaged I got Lucky I did not want to get stuck in Nashville as a major pending snow storm was about to hit Atlanta. I made it back and put it back in 4wd to move in 5 in snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts