Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l. Every time i shift it into 4 hi the only way i can get it to stay there is hook a bungee cord to it to hold it into gear. Same thing with neutral and 4 lo it wont stay locked in where i want it. Any suggestions on where to start???????????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now I might be wrong cause I'm a total newb when it comes to jeeps cause I've only had mine for 2 days but a friend told me that I should look into changing the 4 wheel engagement into a posi-lock cable system because he said that the stock system uses a vacuum line, but yours might be slipping out for some other reason.

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is this done? Is that what the problem is do you think. There isn't enough vacuum there to lock it into place? Sorry im really not good with transmissions and transfer cases

·
Registered
925 Posts
How is this done? Is that what the problem is do you think. There isn't enough vacuum there to lock it into place? Sorry im really not good with transmissions and transfer cases
no the vac shouldnt hold it in place, theres something going on mechanically with your transfer case not allowing the shifter to stay in place. Im not an expert by any means with tcases but it sounds like a wear part inside the tcase has failed and needs to be replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts