Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its goin start snowing soon...Are there certain rules turning on 4x4? MAX Speed? Turning on/off at speeds? Also my friend said it drives a little different when your turn is this true?

·
Registered
401 Posts
RTFM. You should always read the full manual before operating heavy machinery you aren't familiar with, not doing so could be very costly (and deadly.). Once you've done your basic homework, come back and ask questions that aren't blatently in the manual nobody wants to re-write the same instructions 500 times...

I'm going to answer your question that isn't in the manual though: Yes driving in 4 wheel is going to feel different, if you are using it in the right situations (covered in the manual.)

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Making it awful hard to not be an asshole these days.

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
FlyinJeeps said:
nobody wants to re-write the same instructions 500 times...

:)
But people will write "read the manual" 5000 times instead.

Like in school, some people do better with a lecture instead of sticking their head in a book.

Technically everything has a manual but I can promise you more people will skip reading a manual before they will sit down and read the manual for every single thing they own.
If they did, many people would be out of a job.
If I told ever Co-worker/customer to "read the manual" for all pc's and printers i help with when they call me... I'd be either fired or have a lot less work to do.

I laugh everytime someone says "read the manual" because because they are a hypocrite to some degree. Ha ha ha ha! In school teachers teach the stuff that is in the text... Yet the students are still allowed to ask questions...

Manual or not... I say never fear to ask questions. Who cares if people get all peeved for answering what they deem a dumb question.

Screw the manual. The web and forums are far better in my opinion. Ha ha ha!

·
Registered
401 Posts
But people will write "read the manual" 5000 times instead.

Like in school, some people do better with a lecture instead of sticking their head in a book.

Technically everything has a manual but I can promise you more people will skip reading a manual before they will sit down and read the manual for every single thing they own.
If they did, many people would be out of a job.
If I told ever Co-worker/customer to "read the manual" for all pc's and printers i help with when they call me... I'd be either fired or have a lot less work to do.

I laugh everytime someone says "read the manual" because because they are a hypocrite to some degree. Ha ha ha ha! In school teachers teach the stuff that is in the text... Yet the students are still allowed to ask questions...

Manual or not... I say never fear to ask questions. Who cares if people get all peeved for answering what they deem a dumb question.

Screw the manual. The web and forums are far better in my opinion. Ha ha ha!

I thought I did give him a pretty good lecture :flipoff: I dunno I was so excited about my Jeep I read the manual long before it was in my driveway.. It's not like it takes more then 2 hours..

I've worked in IT for the past 12 years, if your program crashes you lose out on some work, maybe lost profits, if your wrangler crashes you could die. RTFM! haha I don't read software manuals either except referencing my rexx books and of course esa/zOS principles of operation.
And I always reference customers to help panels in our programs, they don't get offended..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I thought I did give him a pretty good lecture :flipoff: I dunno I was so excited about my Jeep I read the manual long before it was in my driveway.. It's not like it takes more then 2 hours..

I've worked in IT for the past 12 years, if your program crashes you lose out on some work, maybe lost profits, if your wrangler crashes you could die. RTFM! haha I don't read software manuals either except referencing my rexx books and of course esa/zOS principles of operation.
And I always reference customers to help panels in our programs, they don't get offended..
WHAT?????????????????????????????????
:9lame:

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts

Yes but it's not your job to post here. If you don't want to answer a question for whatever reason, you should just not answer the question. People like this site (among other reasons) because it's one of the few Wrangler sites that you can go to without expecting rude and belittling replies when you ask a question that someone, in their infinite wisdom, deems worthy of such behavior.

Once you've done your basic homework, come back and ask questions that aren't blatently in the manual nobody wants to re-write the same instructions 500 times...
If repeating information from time to time is what it takes to maintain that reputation, then we should be okay with that. If not, it's better to not respond at all than to make someone feel like they aren't wanted here.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
4H can be shifted into at speeds up to 50mph. 4L you should be stopped or rolling at 3 to 4 MPH and you max speed should never exceed 25MPH. The Wrangler has a part time 4WD system. It should not be should on dry or wet pavement. The surface has to allow for the wheels to slip otherwise binding and wheel hop may occur which can lead to damage.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yes but it's not your job to post here. If you don't want to answer a question for whatever reason, you should just not answer the question. People like this site (among other reasons) because it's one of the few Wrangler sites that you can go to without expecting rude and belittling replies when you ask a question that someone, in their infinite wisdom, deems worthy of such behavior.

If repeating information from time to time is what it takes to maintain that reputation, then we should be okay with that. If not, it's better to not respond at all than to make someone feel like they aren't wanted here.
X2 with jeffk42. If there is a question that I don't want to answer for whatever reason, ie. it's in the manual or it should be really common sense, for example: Should I drive across the Hudson river in my new Rubicon, I don't answer. There are so many 1st time Jeepers, and all of us were first timers and some point, that they have a lot of questions that many are in the manual but some positive reinforcement is a good thing. That's what makes this site unique, the ability to help without it being deemed an inconveinance. I still subscribe to the theory that with a Jeep there are no stupid questions. I know I have probably asked some borderline ones and was always helped.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The admins have made it clear we are not suppose to tell people to search. Either answer or just ignore the post. I would assume belittling people and telling them to look in the manual falls in the same category. I am not sure I would have came back to this site if I was treated like this when I first came here so I am glad I was treated very well when I did. Because this has been a wonderful site with a wealth of information.

We all can't know everything and some may not even have thought it was in the manual. If someone is new to the four wheeling community then the question he asked is real reasonable to keep himself safe. There is a lot more polite way to say you can find all your answers in the manual.

Thanks Daggo66 for answering the question and I would like to say you have been very helpful on this site as many have been.

·
Registered
889 Posts
On the flip side, I prefer to read the manuals to have a basic understanding THEN come on the site to get further clarification. Just as some prefer not to read the manual, some prefer to read the manual. What if the people that knew the answers to the questions did not answer at all becasue of the incessant questions? Then the OP cops an attitude because they did not get a response.(for example..I have seen this posted... I asked a question and only 1 response!) It goes both ways. RTM and then ask questions if you do not understand. TMO

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
On the flip side, I prefer to read the manuals to have a basic understanding THEN come on the site to get further clarification. Just as some prefer not to read the manual, some prefer to read the manual.
That's right, and we should be willing to help both types, not just the types that follow our own personal style.

What if the people that knew the answers to the questions did not answer at all becasue of the incessant questions? Then the OP cops an attitude because they did not get a response.(for example..I have seen this posted... I asked a question and only 1 response!) It goes both ways. RTM and then ask questions if you do not understand. TMO
There will always be those of us that don't mind repeating the answers, or at least posting a link to a previous thread on the matter. The rest of you can leave the questions that bother you alone, and we'll take care of them. :)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: If the question requires a short answer-I'll give my answer, but

If the questions isasked in such a way that multiple responces are needed-

I'll tell the poster to use this "XXXX" request to google and get pages of ideas and solutions-

Much better than a short "read the manual" !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
936 Posts
As complex as the Jeep has become, with all the electronics and stuff.....and the specific issues that deal with this type of 4WD, each owner/user SHOULD absolutely read the manual. It only makes sense to do so. Far too many people want someone ELSE to do all the work, and they want to take advantage of the work that others have done, without doing any themselves.

·
Registered
401 Posts
sorry if my point came across wrong, it's not that I don't want to answer the question, my point was, for your own safety you should read the manual.. To me that's just plain good advice.. I guess next time I'll just post the section from the manual that covers the topic, my bad...

To answer the OP's question, use 4wd whenever road conditions are slippery enough that you are losing traction quite a bit. Dry asphalt, no 4wd. Ice, snow, dirt = 4wd okay.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Rhadid: Here's a really good recent thread about 4wd. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/wrangler-sahara-jk-low-speed-turn-issue-27000.html

Don't worry about all the fussiness in the foregoing posts--there are certain questions that are almost "classic," and the 4wd operation is one of them. There's also zillions of posts on cold air intakes, exhausts, programmers, and tire sizes. Sometimes when a topic is both classic and recently discussed, folks get a little touchy. It's no bother and you shouldn't be scared off.

As an aside, while perhaps not suggested in the smoothest way possible, I would make sure you're familiar with your manual. You can download one for free here (https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/) in searchable PDF format that includes a hyperlinked table of contents. Very usuable. I was going to ask a question about the TPMS system today, but I found the answer in the manual very quickly. You can also get your warranty booklet in PDF format, which is also very useful.

Good luck and enjoy your Jeep. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
As an aside, while perhaps not suggested in the smoothest way possible, I would make sure you're familiar with your manual. You can download one for free here (https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/) in searchable PDF format that includes a hyperlinked table of contents. Very usuable. I was going to ask a question about the TPMS system today, but I found the answer in the manual very quickly. You can also get your warranty booklet in PDF format, which is also very useful.

Good luck and enjoy your Jeep. :)

That's a more eloquent way of saying what I was trying to say :) Sorry again if I came off a-holish.

You're going to love the 4wd when you mash through things that would stop a 2wd vehicle in it's tracks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey FlyinJeeps,

That's one mighty good looking shepard,oh and your jeep is nice to :D ! Makes me miss my shepard . Sorry off topic.

I actually sat down, lit a cigar :blunt: and read the whole owners manual and re-read the 4 wheel drive section and enjoyed every minute of it but, i still came on here and asked questions about things that the manual didn't answer.

This forum makes me smarter and smarter everyday with all the info everyone gives !! Thanks everyone :punk:

·
Registered
196 Posts
THe manual is full of bs. I keep hearing read the manual, read the manual. There are over 200 pages on turning your lights and windsheild wipers on. The manual is ridiculous that's why us newbs may ask a few questions because after 200 pages of reading we begin to zone out. F the manual dude. If it was worth shit they would give it to us with our jeep!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts