Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a big problem. My YJs 4x4 aint working. When I put it into 4HI and 4LO the transfer case locks but its not putting the power to the front wheels? any ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like you might have a problem with the vacuum mechanism on your front axel.

First check your vacuum lines for a leak. You can google YJ vacuum diagram and that may help you understand what routes where. Even better if you have a FSM.

If you don't find a leak, search vacuum shift motor inexpensive fix on this site and that will give you some information on another thing to try.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are currently getting pounded with snow so I believe the vac lines may have froze too...shes thawing in the garage and I'm gonna check all the vacuum lines and the motor on the axle.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Definitely go through the vacuum system. The 1st gen YJ's used a different vacuum CAD than the 2nd gen YJ's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure vacum lines are all attached and check vacum presure and if the transfer case is engaging and your vac lines are all good then check the acutator in the front axel and if it is the actuator its 60 dollars shiped for a rebuilt one on ebay

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you have the means to do so, you can lift the Jeep on jack stands, and engage the x-fer case in 4wd. If the front drive shaft is moving, then you have a disco problem. I fix mine a little different then in the write-uos here, but they all work. I would personally move the shifter fork over anyway. If that isn't the problem now it will be when you need it most.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same problem here! Got all bundled up, hit the snowy road and got 5 blocks. Front tires not spinning at all. I ended up getting home on the business end of a tow rope. Please post what happens next. I'll also be googling in the meantime. Good luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey so my vac lines were just full of water and crap and froze up. Gonna replace the lines and probably the motor on the axle cuz its 21 yrs old. haha.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
LOCK IT or put a POSI-LOCK in and be done with it! and stop :banghead:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got the same problem! you might want to check your engagement cluster/vacume lines, unles you have a conversion kit like I do. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts