Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help this novice understand this set up? Does it do the same thing as when you lock the front hubs in on other 4x4s? This set up came on the wrangler I just bought.The only other time I've been in a 4x4, the guy had to get out and lock the front hubs in. Thanks for all of your help.This newbee needs all I can get.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A lot of 4x4's have a vacuum shift engagement of the front axle. Even with hubs. It is to keep the front wheels free wheeling for less drag, which in turn should get better fuel economy.
They all work great until the vehicle gets old like our YJ's are. When you engage the lever for 4wheel, a fork shifts a collar over to make the front shafts turn together.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
the posi lock takes the place the the factory vacuum system.. it uses a cable to pull a fork into place which them connects the inner and outer axle shafts to one another via a collar that spans them both. You can also do a conversoin that uses a later model TJ 1pc shaft to replace the 3 section stock shafts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all, I think I understand. So how far into this will I get before my brain melts? My family is taking bets.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Does anybody has this installed with pics?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Here are the instructions for the posi lock install

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks to all, I think I understand. So how far into this will I get before my brain melts? My family is taking bets.
OK got one on mine due to my vacume lines going up in smoke! Don't ask! :rofl:

Anyway when you need 4WD you put it in neutral, push in the red button and pull the cable out as far as it will go, you should feel a clunk in the cable. Note: sometimes it helps to be moving ever so slightly forward or backwards while doing this.

Then you move the transfer case into 4WH or 4WL depending on your 4WD needs and your off. When your done you just reverse the process and your all set.

That help?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all

:wavey:I got it, went out and tried it today and it works slick and yes I did feel it when it locked in. I'm lovin this stuff.:dance:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did a homemade posi loc and its performed flawless since. It even got me home not long ago. I broke a rear ujoint. Locked in the front CAD and tcase. Drove home in front wheel drive!! Once I go home I then did the Ford U-bolt conversion to my yoke. Below are the links to how I did it.

DIY Posi Loc

Ford U-Bolt conversion

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did the posi lock upgrade and love it!! But you still have to move the transfer case shift lever to 4H, then push the red button and pull out. I do this only when stopped. Now you're in 4H. Provided everything else is operational... 4L is the same concept. Just make sure you're in park or neutral before moving the t-case shifter to 4L. If you're in 4 high or low and then push the red button in, it's the same as 2 high, but you can also have 2 low, however the transfer case will still be engaged. Don't know what anyone would need that for, but it's an option. Unless I need 4wd, I always keep the t-case in 2h.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I use the Two Low when I'm moving trailers around on a place, sometimes in close conditions on the farm and I don't or can't use a large truck, in Two Low the front tires don't tear-up the grass or the ground as much as it would in Four Low, the front end does not get in a Bind when in Two Low on hard surface like in Four Low also. Hope this helps explain some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts