Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
yeah i know this thread is dead but just curious here...

2H is when the shifter is all the way down right?

4H is when the shifter is pulled up to the first 'click' right?

4L is when the shifter is pulled up to the second 'click' right?

where is N in the shifting point of the transfer case?

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
yeah i know this thread is dead but just curious here...

2H is when the shifter is all the way down right?

4H is when the shifter is pulled up to the first 'click' right?

4L is when the shifter is pulled up to the second 'click' right?

where is N in the shifting point of the transfer case?
4L is the last click (almost pointing straight up)

N comes right before 4L

Try pulling the T-case into 4L. then push it slightly forward. it should fall into N. then put the e-brake on and try to move to make sure it actually went into Neutral :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
oooo ok thanks guys. for driving in the snow 4H, which is the 1st click right?, is suppose to be used right? 4L is rarely used from what i hear correct?

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
the trick is (when your learning) to actually look at the pattern instead of pulling back on it while hooked to a blazer trying to lock into four low to pull him out and not know why it wont go back any further??? Then, realize "oh I see" now that I shined my flashlight down on the knob I need to pull it to the right then drop back into four low.

"got it!" "here we go!"

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
oh, and yeah... 4h is for hazzard conditions. 4L is ONLY for really low power. Pulling someone out or getting yourself out. Usually not used over 5-10mph max.

·
Registered
492 Posts
oh, and yeah... 4h is for hazzard conditions. 4L is ONLY for really low power. Pulling someone out or getting yourself out. Usually not used over 5-10mph max.

ok cool thanks. would i f-up my transfer case if i went 8 miles on 4L doing 30MPH on snow packed roads? because i did that thinking i was in 4H because i wasnt aware of the shift pattern and the PO put an aftermarket carbon fiber know on without the pattern on it. this is my first 4x4 i own so i thought logically, i guess, that pulling the shifter to the highest click is 4H :doh:

·
Registered
925 Posts
ok cool thanks. would i f-up my transfer case if i went 8 miles on 4L doing 30MPH on snow packed roads? because i did that thinking i was in 4H because i wasnt aware of the shift pattern and the PO put an aftermarket carbon fiber know on without the pattern on it. this is my first 4x4 i own so i thought logically, i guess, that pulling the shifter to the highest click is 4H :doh:
no but it must have been hard to drive like that, are you sure your 4x4 actually works? Its a very common issue for the 4 wheel drive to go out on YJs. But no if you are driving 30mph in 4lo its ok but next time do it in 4HI.

·
Registered
925 Posts
yeah i was def. 4wd or else i would not have been able to drive through what i drove through lol.
you'd be surprised what 2wd can do, it just sounds weird that you drove 30mph in 4lo, i've never tried going 30 but i know at 15 i just spin tires on dirt. Well theres two quick tests if you want to know for sure, first off the 4x4 lights should come on when in 4 which is a good indicator it works and drive around in a tight circle in 4HI on flat pavement and the wheel should fight you as you go in a circle as in it will try to straighten itself out. If your 4x4 is out you will drive in a circle with very little resistance.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
like said, you should be fine. Just don't want to make a habit of it. Its like over-reving an engine. Yeah, a few times it can take a redline without any damage. But once you start redlining it everyday for two hours at a time, one day before long she's gonna' pop! BAM! There goes a piston out through the wheel well... Same thing with the gear box. It should be ok. Its the high heat that causes damage, 8 miles shouldn't be long enough to really heat it up. Had you done it for 100 miles or more, I'd say have it tore apart and checked out.

·
Registered
274 Posts

All kinds of stuff comes up in google. Also you might want to get a Chilton Manual for your jeep at your local autoparts store, has all kinds of good info in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts