Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult would it be to mount a 5.7 Hemi rate motor in my YJ? I could have motor and transmission mounts made, but does anyone have any idea which transmissions might be used for this? I'd rather use the Mopar V8 than a GM V8. Manual tranny by the way

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
AEV did this conversion once. They may even offer conversion kits for this cinversion. Of course there is always advance adaptors. I hear they are really good with answering these type of questions.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Here is AEV's website. http://www.aev-conversions.com/index.php

What motor do you have in it now. Because I believe the 4 banger has the exact same motor mount positioning as the 5.7 does on the frame. Also I think they use the NV4550 (numbers could be off a bit someone else can verify) behind the hemi.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Your best bet would be to find a wrecked dodge with a hemi in it, get the engine, computer and the tranny.

Then you will have to think about upgrading your rears to handle the power.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It can be done, and you can check out Novak.com, for some conversion answers. They are great people, in the business of converting various engines, in Jeeps.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
THey use the 5-speed auto from GrandCherokees usually... I think Off-Road magazine is doing a section on a 5.7L into a YJ. Teraflex also make a wireing kit for Hemi conversions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, i like the idea of finding a wrecked hemi ram from the junk yard. would certainly be much cheaper than buying a new motor crate from Mopar.

The only real issue I see here is finding the right computer module. I guess I'll just have to do some research, or maybe even AEV will sell me one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant, take EVERYTHING outta the wrecked Ram.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know guys are using the old-school 727 auto trans behind the 5.7s, bellhousings match...and Keisler just came out with a 6 speed stick conversion kit for the LX cars (Magnum / Charger / 300). Granted the Keisler is only RWD, but there were TONS of 4x4 Rams and Ramchargers back in the day with 727s (or the OD version, the 518).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts