Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, I am going from having a mini van. I have 3 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes that I'd like to take with me to the beach and campgrounds. We have a huge trailer, like 6x12 and that is just too much to go on quick day or weekend trips. I am just not seeing much options for a 5 bike rack.
Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
The problem for five bikes will be the weight cantilevered out too far from the hitch. The rack from the link posted by schirmyver attempts to deal with this by mounting the bikes vertical to move the center of gravity closer to the hitch.

The other consideration is the bikes themselves. Five cheap bikes from Costco or Target may be pretty heavy, even kids bikes. Five carbon fiber race bikes will be super light. You can get away with more with the lighter bikes.

When I used to carry four bikes, including a couple of kids bikes, I ran a strap from the rack to the corners of my roof rack. That helped reduce the swaying of all that load cantilevered out far from the hitch. Even so, I could see the load shift back and forth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The problem for five bikes will be the weight cantilevered out too far from the hitch. The rack from the link posted by schirmyver attempts to deal with this by mounting the bikes vertical to move the center of gravity closer to the hitch. The other consideration is the bikes themselves. Five cheap bikes from Costco or Target may be pretty heavy, even kids bikes. Five carbon fiber race bikes will be super light. You can get away with more with the lighter bikes. When I used to carry four bikes, including a couple of kids bikes, I ran a strap from the rack to the corners of my roof rack. That helped reduce the swaying of all that load cantilevered out far from the hitch. Even so, I could see the load shift back and forth.
I use a 5 bike rack with my trailer hitch. I need an extension hitch so the 5th bike can clear the spare. I also run 2 straps around my spare to take some of the weight off of the hitch and stabilize the rack.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I carry 5 adult mountain bikes on occasion. Two in the back with the wheels off and three on a hitch rack. When I have the top off, I can lean 3 of them side by side agains the roll bar. Road bikes have a larger frames.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Think I will keep the using the truck for the bikes and just let the kids deal with using their feet for when we do the tent camping trips with my jeep.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Just buy new bikes when you get there and leave them when you're done.

In all seriousness, as a life-long cyclist I've toted my share of bikes around the world. The thing I absolutely HATE the most is trying to carry four cheap beach cruiser type bikes for my wife and me, my (now adult) daughter and one of her friends. They all have different frame openings, girls style on some, boys style on some, hugely wide handlebars, fenders, coaster brakes (so you can't run the pedals backwards to allow them to not hit each other), baskets, lights, horns, rear racks. Handlebars get caught in rear wheels, baskets get crushed sideways and permanently bent, accessories get knocked off, and in the end, I can never seem to get 4 of the dang things on anyway.

Oh, and that's after wrestling with the dam 50 pound pig-iron pieces of crap for 20 minutes trying to hold them up with one arm while guiding the handlebars into a space in the other bike...

Wound up just taking an old cheap truck down to the beach and leaving it there so I don't have to use a bike carrier.

Sorry to go off on a rant -- I was just having high-stress flashbacks when I read your question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts