Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Jeep Wrangler
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is just some off the wall thinking... planning on switching out the seats and going with a 5 point seat harness. I have a 1995 YJ which does NOT have airbags.

Children typically are in a car carrier, then seat (with a 5 point car seat harness) and eventually move to a booster seat withOUT a 5 point harness (using normal seat belt). All of this is in the back seat due to airbags which a YJ does not have...

I guess my question is, I can't seem to find any source stating whether kids can safely ride in the front seat of a vehicle withOUT airbags, but with a 5 point seat harness built into the seat itself? Would love for the kiddo to come in the Jeep with me sooner, but don't want to do anything unsafe. Anyone have any experience or sources to references on this?

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
The complexity of harness design/anchor has resulted in many cluster designs causing increased injury

Since you cannot do proper crash testing any new design would be questionable at best

Even just a thicker foam pad on an ejector seat resulted in leg fractures so you cannot just think it out you really need to test it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1995 Jeep Wrangler
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How big is your child? Size matters.
That was sort of the point of the post, (1) can children ride in the seat in this situation and (2) at what age/size can they do this?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My grandsons are 7&9. The 7 yoa is bigger. They both have been riding in the front seat for 2ish years. State law and are they big enough for the seat belts to do their job are the two main factors. Also, is there an overly protective parent involved? I don't do anything over the top with my basically stock Jeep, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts