Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one ever done this? i am having trouble with the ax-5 popping out of first if i need to replace it i am considering a automatic.
1 does any one know what trans i will need
2 can i use the same TC
3 where can i get new pedals
4 do i need a new computer?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
might wanna consider whole new driveline if you're gonna go this far, chagne the motor and trans.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might wanna consider whole new driveline if you're gonna go this far, chagne the motor and trans.
so if i found A 6 OR 8 FROM A grand cherokee it would all fit? I dont know much about the conversions? is thier a computer to change?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
if you wanna change it all, your best bet is a donor vehicle, cherokee's or grand cherokee's are somewhat common to use as a donor.

there's also a way to upgrade your 5 speed to the ax15 trans that is used behind the six's. if you wanna consider keeping a manual. that trans lasts.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I can't remember did the 5 only come in the 4 Cyl. YJ's?

·
Registered
538 Posts
why not just replace or get the 1st gear synchro replaced? its lasted over 14 years but now its no good because of one gear popping out?:confused:

good luck with converting it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I can't remember did the 5 only come in the 4 Cyl. YJ's?
yes, 4 cyl only had ax5. but the dakota's 2.5 used the ax15, so a dakota bellhousing can make the ax15 fit the 2.5 motor. there's a great thread on it i kept trying to make sticky cuz this comes up every week, but i have it saved so i put it up whenever it comes up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not just replace or get the 1st gear synchro replaced? its lasted over 14 years but now its no good because of one gear popping out?:confused:

good luck with converting it:rolleyes:
I may just do that I is getting more frequent AND now we can add grinding to get it into first. I have had an offer of a th 6 cyl conversion with another 5 speed parts and labor (done by a very reputable business) for 2k I may just go that route

1 - 8 of 8 Posts