Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I test drove a couple of 6 speeds when I was in the hunt for mine. If my tranny ever goes, I plan on trying to swap in a 6 speed instead of a 5. I'm assuming they'd get better gas mileage (haha) and I'm assuming I might actually be able to not stall out in first when I'm in 4 hi.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I love having the 6 speed. It can get tedious when driving in traffic or through a city but overall I have no complaints.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
One has 5 gears & the other one has 6.
Between the 2 of them a Auto is way better.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
What the determination between a 5 or 6 speed tranny, should be about, is which one gives the advantage, depending on where it is being driven, and what gearing is the differential. Everything flows from here.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The 6spd is a much nicer transmission to use than the NV3550 5spd. The 32RH Auto is king.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have the 05 4.0L with a 6spd, and my brother has a 99 4.0L with the 5spd.

The 6spd seems a lot looser, and likes to pop out of 1st and reverse if I'm not careful. The 5spd shifts very cleanly and more precisely than the 6spd. Both Jeeps have almost the same milage on them. There is no syncro on the reverse gear in the 5spd but that isnt all that important.

I still like driving my 6spd though. More shifts = more better. :) Except in stop-and-go traffic anyway. If I was going to buy another Jeep the 5spd vs 6spd would not really matter. As long as it has one of the two I would be happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 5 speed in my 4.0 and even with a lot of miles, she shifts very smooth. I like how long 1st gear is. I've never driven a 6 speed Jeep, but I had a 6-speed in my Audi S4 that had the V6 twin turbo motor and while I loved that car and driving it, 1st gear was VERY short.

I'm new to these boards, so I don't know if the comments about the Automatic are sarcastic...but I would NOT want an auto in my Wrangler.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I enjoy the 6 speed. Shifts much smoother than the 5 speed and is geared a little lower which is convenient. The 1st gear is a dream gear in 4 wheel low and the Rubicon T-case. 6 speed has a habit of people giving it a bad rep but it's a pretty good transmission overall

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
I'm new to these boards, so I don't know if the comments about the Automatic are sarcastic...but I would NOT want an auto in my Wrangler.
not sarcastic, and per your response, i'm guessing you've never been in one while offroad.

personally, I wont go back to stick unless its in a sports car, but everyone has their reasons for why they want one or the other. some are factual, most are superficial, either way, its a jeep and will perform well offroad

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been in just a few Jeeps total offroad, and they've all been sticks, so no I haven't. Also keep in mind, I'm not a rock-crawler/extremist, more desert terrain and camping on our land in Southern Utah. I can see though, how and Auto would be beneficial if you are in a dicey spot, like the edge of a mountain or something like that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I prefer the ax15 5 speed. Bust a German 6 speed and you will wish you had a 5. Just put a tj ax15 in my old Yj ( busted trans and wanted external slave). The 5 as 6 speed are pretty much the same gearing, with exception of first in the 5 is about 2nd in the 6 speed. But the 6 is just not worth the $ to me in the long run.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've got both.

The 6 speed has a lower first gear. So low that I don't use it on the road unless I'm starting off up a steep hill. It's great off road.

6th gear isn't much of an overdrive at all. So, you will be spinning at higher RPMs on the hwy than with the 5 spd. Not good for gas mileage.

I've not had a problem with either one. I have over 260K mi on the 5 spd in the YJ and 145K mi on the 6 spd in the TJ.

If the 6 spd had an overdrive gear similar to the one in the 5 spd, the gearing would be just about perfect.

The '05 6 spds had some issues.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Love my 6spd!! I never really use first gear ever except some situations. Sorta gets a bad wrap but I haven't had a problem. I had a 42rle auto in my 03 that also got a bad wrap and never had a problem with that either. Just a matter or preference I guess. Oh and money. Even though I've seen some 6spd trannys on ebay for a fair price.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts