Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am planning on putting on a 5 tab light bar with KC HiLites to match what I have already...

Out of curiosity I was wondering what light setup I should go with (5 driving, 5 fog, 5 flood, or a mix of them) I was thinking just 5 driving but thought a mixed set might be useful.

Does anyone have the long range/spot ones?

I currently have two driving lights on the windshield and two fog above the bumper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I don't off-road at night

I use my current fog lights and the driving lights instead of hibeams.

I would use the bar lights on rare occasions but most likely never actually off-road. It's always sunny when I do.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Where is the bar? I assume that it's an overhead lightbar.

Fogs need to be low, they are designed with a sharp cut-off to shine UNDER the fog
Driving is more like your regular headlight, you want them generally mounted at or below eye level - their throw is between standard US headlight beam and high beam.
Floods are great as rock lights, side lighting, etc. and can help eliminate cast shadows, but can also wash out (visually flatten) land features
Pencils/spots are intended for long-range illumination at distances past the reach of factory high beams

Different lights will also cast different glare and different distribution patterns on the driving surface or in the eyes of oncoming vehicles

On my MJ Comanche I've had 3 KC pencils overhead, 2 hella driving lights on the brushbar, and 2 fogs under the bumper.

On my TJ I had a pair of driving lights on the A-pillar... cast more glare than anything useful

On my H1 I had a pair of PIAA long-distance pencils, pair of Hella driving, and pair of PIAA fogs on the brushguard. It was silly.

I really don't run a lot of lights anymore - never used them enough to justify the expense or hassle of wiring them up.

It sounds like your needs are mostly cosmetic, though, so it doesn't matter much as long as your electrical system can handle it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It really depends what you intend to use it for and if all five are going to be wired to the same switch.

For my use, I would put three spots in the center for driving purposes on one switch and then two floods on the outside for campsite illumination on another switch. These two would actually be aimed slightly outward to increase the spread of light.

Tarditi does make a good point, that is a lot of draw on the electrical system. Just keep that in mind if you fire them up on a regular basis. Assuming these are 100W each, that is 500W or roughly 35A of current. It would not take long for that to drain a battery plus it is a lot of load on the alternator. That is the benefit of the LED lights, but like you I prefer the old school look of KC's and halogen bulbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts