Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a lot of people like the look of the LED Light bars atop the windshield, so I bought one of the elcheapo lights off ebay.

The light is crazy bright, really like it for offroad, but street driving it sucks the wind noise and whistle it made was just unbearable. I tried it all the edge guards, the 1/4 hose between the fin, I even covered my in vinyl wrap trying to get it to hush up. The Vinyl wrap work pretty good, but when it got to 32 degrees it failed and started flaking off.

I had tried it all and one night I set out to read all I could about fixes when I ran across an article about putting a door sweep from home depot in the bottom fin to redirect the air flow. So while piddling in the garage yesterday I found an old piece from my last pontoon boat, it is a splash guard for the underdecking, I wish I could point you to a source for this but I can't. So I will provide you with a couple of photos so you can see what I started with.

I used the dremel tool to remove the fin off the back and then took it to the belt sander to finish it off and smooth it out. I cut it to 50 inches and did some test fittings.

Everything looked good, so I removed all the 1/4 tubing from between the fins and all the edge trimming off the bottom 3 fins.

I then applied 3m body molding tape to the inside curve of the wind deflector, and then painted it black to match. I used some Krylon plastic fusion paint that is supposed to adhere to plastic and be flexible. I scuffed the plastic with a 3m scotchpad before painting.

Next up I folded back 3" of the tape from either end so I after it was installed I could peel the tape off and stick it. The 3m tape is very sticky so if you try it with it all exposed you will have a tough time getting it in place. Next I put the deflector in the between the bottom 2 fins, remove the backing tape and use a flat putty knife to press it in place.

I then applied one strip of door trim to the bottom fin to help put the defector in place and hold the tape to the upper fin.

After this photo I applied the door edge trim to the top 8 fins and I am happy to say I have NO wind noise and no whistle. I couldn't be happier, it is almost as if the light bar was not even then.

Hope this works for you, if I can find a source for the pontoon splash guard I will post it here.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Awesome! I'll have to look into that. I was wondering if you just squirted caulking into each fin filling the gap If that'd help too?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was able to cure all of my whistling with door trim. And in the city the wind noise is all but none existent. However on the highway the noise and buffeting is unbearable. Is this project you came up with the cure I may be looking for, short of just removing and selling the thing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to cure all of my whistling with door trim. And in the city the wind noise is all but none existent. However on the highway the noise and buffeting is unbearable. Is this project you came up with the cure I may be looking for, short of just removing and selling the thing?
Yes this will cure your problem, my buffeting was so bad it caused vibrations... it is all gone with this addition to the edge trim, no whistle and no buffeting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes this will cure your problem, my buffeting was so bad it caused vibrations... it is all gone with this addition to the edge trim, no whistle and no buffeting.
Well then I am going to start looking for something similar. I went for a little shopping trip Sat with my daughter about an hour away. The buffeting and drone had the Jeep vibrating, my ears throbbing and gave me a headache.

Thanks for figuring this out and posting!!! And nice color choice for your Jeep!!! :drinks:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was the point where I was, either figure out how to get rid of the buffeting or it was coming off, and I really liked the looks and function of the light.

I have a buddy driving 80 miles next saturday for me to install one for him. I wish I could find a source for the material I used, if you try the door sweep material post back and let us know the results I wonder if it works just as well.

The color always changes depending on the light, we get a lot of double takes in ours. People look then turn back and stare, do you get that too?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I used a weather stripping similar the the pic above. It fixed the harmonics and buffeting for me. 10° this morning and it's still stuck tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
that was the point where I was, either figure out how to get rid of the buffeting or it was coming off, and I really liked the looks and function of the light.

I have a buddy driving 80 miles next saturday for me to install one for him. I wish I could find a source for the material I used, if you try the door sweep material post back and let us know the results I wonder if it works just as well.

The color always changes depending on the light, we get a lot of double takes in ours. People look then turn back and stare, do you get that too?
Yes, definitely a chameleon color that tends to attract a lot of attention. I like it way better than my '13 in black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts