Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like everyone else, my light bar whistles. Horribly. So rather than doing some make shift foam/rubber whatever to silence the whistle, I would like to buy the rubber inserts. But, I have found 3 variations and I have an off brand light (cheap chinese light, works for what I need) so I don't know that I want to get the rigid specific ones...

Here are the 3 types I have found:
Whistle Stop - Seward Offroad

E/RDS-Series Resonance Damper 40280 | Rigid Industries

Robot Check

They all have a different amount of rubber teeth to go inside of the fins. Has anyone gotten any of these for use on a non rigid light. Or what was your best looking solution? I think I would only need 3-4 rubber pieces so at $15-$20 they seem worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
do you have a pic of your light? I assume you should be able to count fins and get one that looks close. It should mostly fit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have an image of it and I just put it back up. It's a fairly generic style, but I have rigged some rubber up piece up between all of the lower fins. I guess I will see how that lasts and go from there. The ones above don't exactly maybe my number of fins. I have 13 spaces that would need filled. The Seward brand has 15, while Rigid has 9 and the one on amazon has only 6. None would exactly fit and I'm not sure if that will be okay or not.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quick tip, go to Autozone, PepBoys, Advance....whatever is around you and get door edge trim. It comes in black and in a roll of about 24ft depending on manufacturer. Cut it to length for your bar and place it on the fins of the light bar. Problem solved! Most people only have to place it on the first three fins but it depends on your application.

·
Registered
182 Posts
He is absolutely correct about the door edge trim. My whistle was annoying at every speed and this stopped it completely.
I put them on all the fins due to the fact that I was unaware of the possibility that the three fins alone should work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
He is absolutely correct about the door edge trim. My whistle was annoying at every speed and this stopped it completely.
I put them on all the fins due to the fact that I was unaware of the possibility that the three fins alone should work.
Yea my buddy only had to put it on the middle three to get the whistling to stop. But for mine I didn't need any at all. Every application is different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought a mud lite led 50" cover for my light.
All freeway noise is gone. Get some at the 35-45 range, not bad. The legs on the cover are long. 1"+. It must change the air flow, so that whistle is gone at freeway speeds.
Mudlifeled.com/product/cover-dual-row-light-bar

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought a mud lite led 50" cover for my light.
All freeway noise is gone. Get some at the 35-45 range, not bad. The legs on the cover are long. 1"+. It must change the air flow, so that whistle is gone at freeway speeds.
Mudlifeled.com/product/cover-dual-row-light-bar
Wow, that is a fair price for a 50" cover. I haven't had any issues in my area, but I have heard of some people getting grief from cops about covering light bars. I prefer mine to be uncovered in the rare event someone does something idiotic on the highway and I feel like giving them the old retina-burner 5000... But in reality that only happened once when a WRX decided to pass me via the shoulder @ 70 MPH.

I did the door trim thing before, but didn't think of a way of keeping it on the fins. Eventually I only had 3, 12" long strips when I started with 8. They kept the whistle down, but I didn't want to loose them again. This time I cut up a spare fuel pump gasket I had which wedged nicely between the fins. I also cut what was left of the door trim pieces to place on fins that didn't allow enough space for the rubber gasket pieces. I don't really care for how it looks, but in the end no one knows but me. If this down't work I may bite the bullet and go with buying the rubber whistle blockers or get more door trim and silicon them to the fins.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
what kind of noise are we talking about here?
I have a 50" single row from MicTunning and if it does make noise, its not louder than my tires or normal jeep noises. Are your guys's jeeps just that quiet or light bars THAT loud?

I did notice the fins on mine follow the air flow and go through, maybe thats why its quieter

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The harmonics of the long fins vibrating as wind rushes across them is screechingly loud. It's very high pitched and easily louder than tires, soft top and engine noise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I live in CA. Plus I work on a marine base. So I needed the cover. Before the whistle was unbearable at freeway speeds. Trying to the the jeep legal as possible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
what kind of noise are we talking about here?
I have a 50" single row from MicTunning and if it does make noise, its not louder than my tires or normal jeep noises. Are your guys's jeeps just that quiet or light bars THAT loud?

I did notice the fins on mine follow the air flow and go through, maybe thats why its quieter

Every light bar is different but you only have a single row. Most of us are running dual row bars. I only get a whistle from crosswinds now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yea my buddy only had to put it on the middle three to get the whistling to stop. But for mine I didn't need any at all. Every application is different.
I have two, 2003 Wrangler TJ s . One is a sport, one is a Rubicon. Both have the 50" light bar, but only the Rubicon whistled. The door edge trim fixed the problem but it is baffling how two light bars of the same brand, act differently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts