Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used them? Opinions on them? They claim a 20 horse gain (anything helps) and an increase from 1.5 ratio to 1.62. I've heard both ways on 505 performance here and there, would just like to know more if anybody has had some experience with them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I hope someone answers because I was looking into roller rockers. I do know that when ever friction is lessened in the engine it frees up horsepower. Knowing the design of the stock rockers it will produce some gains, also with a larger lift it will allow for better breathing just as camming would. The lifter acts as the same timing of the cam but with higher lobes.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Given the price you pay for them, not nearly enough bang for the buck. If you were doing an all out engine rebuild, then maybe.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You are not going to get 20 hp by any streach. As indicated, bang for the buck is not there for the $$ and work to install.

·
Registered
940 Posts
They are nice. But! (haha) I really doubt you will see 20hp gain.

I believe the stock ratio is 1.6.
The alum rockers will be more accurate than the stock ones.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read that the stock ones are 1.5 ratio...So there's a bit of improvement there...I'm eventually planning on making mine a 4.7l stroker...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have done this in the past on small block chevy engines and there was a noticeable difference in performance going from a 1.5 ratio to a 1.6, essentially its like putting in a bigger cam. As for 505 performance, they are a local company to me and I have known the owner for years and he is an avid offroader and jeep enthusiast. That being said, I don't do business with him and the reports I hear are about 50/50 some people love him other people hate him.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty consistent with what I've read elsewhere: he's big into Jeeps and some people hate 505 and some swear by it...lol Thanks for the input...Although I may go with Harland Sharp roller rockers from Summit...They're a little more affordable and it's through Summit (they always make things right)...However I'm still curious about the 505 Performance gear drive set...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ended up putting a set of harland sharp roller rockers on mine (found out when it was all done that it needed a valve cover spacer and water neck spacer)...After it was all done, there was a noticeable increase in power. More noticeable than the Jet trail jammer, Jet stage 1 chip, electric fan or banks cat-back...Not just top end, but decent off the line gains...

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
did you change springs too? if not, did you verify the increased ratio will work with your stock springs, pushrods & cam long term? Did you need a valve cover spacer? Summit says additional machining/parts required? pictures? before & after dyno results?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you change springs too? if not, did you verify the increased ratio will work with your stock springs, pushrods & cam long term? Did you need a valve cover spacer? Summit says additional machining/parts required? pictures? before & after dyno results?
No spring changes...From what 505 told me, the 1.6 ratio rockers don't require anything else and so far, no problems.

Yeah, found out after it was done I had to do a Hesco valve cover spacer, water neck spacer and high clearance water neck.

I have no pics of the rockers on it (I'll post pics tho since I had my valve cover powder coated and all that), but I'll post pics soon.

No dyno results, but I can tell you it was night and day difference when I drove it after the rockers were on.

Yes, they're expensive ($350 on Summit for HS rockers, plus the Hesco spacer kit $150), but if you want more power, they're worth it. Like I said, more of a noticeable gain than the electric fan, Jet stage 1 chip, Edge Trailjammer, Banks monster exhaust or even re-gearing...

So far, I'm impressed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts