Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple, ultra cheap Mod. , to prevent thieves from opening the hood...
Made of a piece of 1-1/2"x1-1/2" angular metal.
Look at the photos and I explain after them....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photo of the part needed, made from 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" "L" beam ( 1/8" thick ). takes only about 3/4 of an inch from the stuff.
Need a grinder to soften the edges after cutting the 3/4 inch long piece.
A drill bit, a bit larger than the Lock shaft ( I used a 1/4" ) for both the mount and the Lock hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to enlarge a round hole which is about 2-1/2" from the hood`s locking mechanism hole ( center of grill top ). The photo shows the hole enlarged forward to make an oval shaped hole of about 3/4" ( I used a Dremel with a Carbide 1/8" round tip ), and a couple of 1/4 holes to speed up the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the work is matched and completed the hood part will go through the oval hole in the grill`s top, and exit under the grill, behind the #3 Jeep Grill front opening, OlllllllO , so you can put a Lock under the grills top.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried to show a photo of the Lock actually mounted, but exceeded my Quota for Bytes. Well, is easy to picture that out. Just don`t loose the Lock key if you do this Mod., you will be sorry !!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey now I am really pissed off !!!!!
Pingo is my cousin !!! He did great on that Commercial !!!!! And NO, no humans were harmed in the making of it !!!!!
Remember, you humans are OUR COUSINS !!!!
You Ironhead...... no wonder they call you "Ironhead", nothing can enter it !!!!!!!
Just give us a couple more Million Years, we will have an I.Q. of 200 on the average !!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
i am stubborn, but thats not why i choose this username. bonus points if you can figure it out

cool idea, but i see a few flaws and if someone wants in, i think this will do more damage than harm. you could end up looking for a new hood and a new battery.

and as you mentioned, what would you do if you lost the key?

although batterys are rather expensive, so its worth looking into. what about an odd ball fastener to hold the battery down?

side notes, photobucket is a great way posting photos that doesnt tax the servers. then you dont have to worry about limits

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Ironhead......JK
I know why they call you Ironhead....the Head from an M-38 Jeep fell on your head when you was little !!!!!
Anywho, I am not good at this P.C. work and photos and the like. My apologies for that.
And yes, I realize a lost key and they will come here and shoot my hairy behind !!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Instead of a key lock, get the combo lock that has the thumb wheels. They can be numbers or letters

·
Registered
631 Posts
Instead of a key lock, get the combo lock that has the thumb wheels. They can be numbers or letters
x2. Although it may seize up if it gets a lot of mud and dust in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts