Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50K. Lots of highway driving. In traffic 75% of the time.

I was going to do just a flush because well it's only at 50K. But decided a full pan drop..fluid..filter ect ect.

I went in and they quoted me something like $450 to do this where the flush is almost $200.

I have another shop in the area I got to all the time and who will be putting on my new breaks and would have them do it..but would be afraid of them not using the correct fluid unless I bought the fluid.

There's no way it's $450 for that service...is it?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If your fluid doesn't smell burnt or look brown instead of red, save your money for a few more thousand miles.

Factory recommends 6 years or 60,000 to 12 years or 120,000 miles depending on use.

If you are set on having others change the filter and fluid, look for a reputable transmission shop.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you can, do it yourself. If not get a quote from a transmission shop. I did mine at 50 myself, had a transmission shop at 100 thousand. Currently have 130 and gonna do it again at 150 myself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My jku is 6 years old and need to get this done as well. I bought a kit that has a filter and gasket along with some Castrol atf4. I plan to do the trans and transfer case at the same time.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,857 Posts
Find an offroad shop near you for this kind of service. Stealerships are all about blanket charges across all brands even though changing the AT fluid on a JK is far easier than a Fiat 500, they cost the same amount. At my dealer anyway.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I mean, its not all that absurd. I recently had mine done at 100k and it ended up costing me about $400
I went into it planning on doing it myself, but with 8 years of accumulated rust, I gave up half way in after I couldnt drill out my rusty exhaust bolts to disconnect the pipe and snapping one of the pan bolts.
I brought it to the local garage guy and let him have at it after going to Ace to get two different drill bits and a third T30 which still didnt clear some cross member/skid whatever. Before he would even touch it, he asked me to get the replacement bolts. Fair request as I already snapped one. Problem with that is with the bolts and clamps, that was $120. Heres my itemized list of parts and fees for "an easy job"

Final bill for an easy job
Parts at the Q: $63 for pan, gasket and filter
Parts at local dealer: $120 for 6 bolts and clamp nuts
Tools at Ace: $18 for two drill bits and a 3/8 drive T30
Fluid at Napa: $7.50/q ATF4 x 6 = $45 which I had to return because I didnt get that far
Garage bill of $175 includes 2 hr of labor and 5 q of ATF

All in $376

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
That price isn't all that bad considering what dealers usually charge an hour and how many hours this will take.
That said, I would not let a dealer do that sort of work.
Also, you probably don't need that work at this point, check the condition of the fluid.
And are you saying that you are letting a shop do your brakes that you don't trust to change the transmission fluid because you aren't sure they would put the right fluid back in? And you are letting them do your BRAKES?
Dang.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That price isn't all that bad considering what dealers usually charge an hour and how many hours this will take.
That said, I would not let a dealer do that sort of work.
Also, you probably don't need that work at this point, check the condition of the fluid.
And are you saying that you are letting a shop do your brakes that you don't trust to change the transmission fluid because you aren't sure they would put the right fluid back in? And you are letting them do your BRAKES?
Dang.

I have had another Wrangler friend go there for trans change and they just put in generic fluid he found out.

Unless in Jeeps it doesn't matter? But I would like the spec fluid from Jeep themselves and not a generic brand at Autozone ect. Maybe it doesn't matter I don't know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have had another Wrangler friend go there for trans change and they just put in generic fluid he found out.

Unless in Jeeps it doesn't matter? But I would like the spec fluid from Jeep themselves and not a generic brand at Autozone ect. Maybe it doesn't matter I don't know.

I only use Mopar fluids for my Jeep and do my own work. It probably doesn't matter, and ATF+4 is the same across the shelf if its a premium brand. But I love my Jeep and will keep it a long time. I wouldn't trust the monkey oil change places, and wouldn't trust the dealership which is just as bad at a premium price

And to the OP, that price isn't bad for what it is. Most average service work is $350, add dealership premium, and you are at $450. Doing the work myself leaves all that extra $ for other mods, and I know its done right, or if it's done wrong, who to blame.

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
50K. Lots of highway driving. In traffic 75% of the time.

I was going to do just a flush because well it's only at 50K. But decided a full pan drop..fluid..filter ect ect.

I went in and they quoted me something like $450 to do this where the flush is almost $200.

I have another shop in the area I got to all the time and who will be putting on my new breaks and would have them do it..but would be afraid of them not using the correct fluid unless I bought the fluid.

There's no way it's $450 for that service...is it?
I just had a flush done at 50K miles to assure my MaxCare Lifetime warranty stays in tack. If you're going to have the pan dropped I wouldn't reinstall the stock pan. I would get a PML aluminum pan with a gasket and drain plug.

Here's the one I've had my eye on for several years..

https://yourcovers.com/transpan_11132.php

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just had a flush done at 50K miles to assure my MaxCare Lifetime warranty stays in tack. If you're going to have the pan dropped I wouldn't reinstall the stock pan. I would get a PML aluminum pan with a gasket and drain plug.

Here's the one I've had my eye on for several years..

https://yourcovers.com/transpan_11132.php

Thanks, that looks nice but wow, pricey. I got a replacement pan with a drain plug off rockauto for 30 bucks. The drain plug is right over the exhaust cross member, and it dripped a little bit until i cranked it up super tight. That pan looks beefy and I will wish I got it, but would need a better reason to shell out three fifty for a trans pan.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Last year, prior to a month long 5000 mile road trip for trout and salmon fishing I changed all the fluids in my previous 2014. Both diffs, auto trans, transfer case and engine oil and filter. To be completely honest the only thing that needed to be changed was the engine oil and rear diff. The front diff, trans and transfer case fluids looked like they were just poured fresh out of the bottle. The trans pan had so little residue I wiped it clean with one paper towel. Jeep had 50k at the time with over 5000 trail miles and weekly towing of my bass boat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts