Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and broke the bank on the LED light bar. Honestly I didn't even want to drop $300 on one so I went ahead and bought the $65 model off Amazon from Topcarlight directly. Several different people are selling the Topcarlight brand but I bought mine directly from Topcarlight because I had several questions for them before I bought it. Amy was very helpful and we had many email exchanges.

It seems like a well-made light so far. Quality construction, and it generates a wide field of light. I do wish there were screws along the front edge but I figure for the money it's understandable. I have had it in the rain for a while and several high temperature changes from 25F to 65F and so far there is no moisture behind the lens.

There is no wiring information along with the light so they save a bit of money and it amazes me how many people complain so I put a short tutorial together for the electrically challenged.

It’s a 300 watt LED bar so 25 amps or less of draw. You need big enough wire to handle the current draw (25 amp+) and a fuse or circuit breaker and a relay. The 300 watt light will pull 25 amps at 12v so using 30 amp relay/fuse/breaker should be enough.

Wire: I'm going to assume you are going to need to run less than 10 feet of wire for the high power (the one on the big fuse). If so, 12 gauge will be fine. You can use 14 or even 16 gauge for the "switch" wire and the ground to the relay to save some money.
You will also need a switch BUT the switch is only going to be used to power on the relay and the relay will then "switch" the high current from the battery to the lights.

HOW TO:
FUSE: 30 amp fuse/breaker near the battery. That wire runs through the fuse to pin 30 on the relay and this will be the source power line for the lights.
RELAY: Get a 40 amp relay (30 amp should work too, but I like the 40 amp relay better). You can get them with a wire harness so you don't have to run the wires right to the relay. Pin 87 on the relay is the output of that power line above and you run it to the red wire on the LED bar (Don't forget to run the black wire on the LED to vehicle ground). Pin 85 on the relay is run to ground on the vehicle. Pin 86 on the relay is the "trigger" wire for the relay. This wire is what will turn on the light when it gets power.
The Easiest way to do this is tap into the fuse box (under the dash) and pull 12v from something that is "switched power". That means it has power when the key is on. Now, run that tapped wire to a switch and from the switch to the Pin 86.
With that wiring above, when the key is in the on position, you have power going to the switch, when you flip the light switch that energizes the relay which takes the power from the battery and sends it to the light. If you want, we can make the "switch" wiring fancier so you can have lights with the switch or with the high beams. You just need to tap into the wire that powers your high beams to your pin 86. If you do this you will need to have the high beams on to power your bar.

Pro:
Really bright
Construction seems good
Wire harness is long enough to get behind your windshield

Con:
Mounting brackets are not really made for jeep application but for the price it’s not a problem. I honestly wanted to get the a-pillar brackets so I could mount a light down lower anyway.

Summary: I think it's a great light. They turn night into day. Very affordable. Very well packaged. This light is truly amazing and I get compliments on it already. I have not noticed any highway noise from wind so maybe I have mine at the right angle to avoid noise but if I start to hear anything I’ll update the post.

I made a short video to compare my 55 watt black magic lights, 12" LED light bar, and LED headlights against the 52" LED light bar so you can see what I mean about how bright they really are. Hope you enjoy.

52" LED VIDEO (Coming Soon)

Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you had any problems with water or moisture inside your light bar yet and how long have you had it mounted for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problems with moisture yet. Expecting 1" tomorrow so that will be another good test. I'll post some photos of the bracket and light install when I get back home later this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts