Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 55watt lights ( non led). If these were my only reverse lights, can I wire them into the stock wiring without using a relay??

Im guessing if I grabbed led lights, I wouldn't need the relay?

I know the stock bulbs draw about 2 amps each, and these would be more.

Tried searching the forum and came up with some mixed suggestions.. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
55w at 12v is 4.58A of current. If stock pulls 2 I'd say that's probably too high. It may be a pain to run the power to the relay from the battery

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
It's not too much. I have 55w lights connected to my reverse lights and have not had a single issue.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The correct answer would be to consult a wiring chart, and not take someone's word for it. Just because one guy said it's OK doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

With that said, check out the chart below. At 4.6 Amps, as long as the wire is 18 gage or bigger you should be fine. The schematics should tell you what gage the wiring is, or you can get a sizer from any good electrical supply house.

Attachments

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The correct answer would be to consult a wiring chart, and not take someone's word for it. Just because one guy said it's OK doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

With that said, check out the chart below. At 4.6 Amps, as long as the wire is 18 gage or bigger you should be fine. The schematics should tell you what gage the wiring is, or you can get a sizer from any good electrical supply house.
Right, because I have no idea what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Right, because I have no idea what I'm talking about...
Maybe you do, but you didn't base your answer on anything but saying that you did it, so it must be OK. I offered up a tool that he can use over and over to answer wiring questions for himself, and not have to rely on other people's opinions.

·
Registered
574 Posts

Well, it seems I've been overkilling all the wiring I've done with 14 gauge XD

·
Registered
372 Posts
...I offered up a tool that he can use over and over to answer wiring questions for himself, and not have to rely on other people's opinions.
The chart is helpful, and I agree that it's a good approach. That's not to say experience should be taken lightly either.

You pretty much did what you claimed daggo66 did - you drew a conclusion without knowing how he arrived at his conclusion. He may have done all kinds of testing.

Ohms law. Download a app.
Ohm's Law won't do it. You would have to know the resistance of the wire and what its temperature rise would be at the expected current.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts