Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The rear of my 2011 2 door auto JK is little low to my liking. One could say its perfectly flat when the jeep is empty but I would prefer to have a little rake. This becomes worse when someone gets into the rear seat or if I put any luggage in the trunk. The rear drops. The 285/70/17 spare also affected the stance slightly.

The Jeep has #56 springs in the rear, I can get #58 for very cheap from a guy I know. Will they lift the rear slightly? How much lift can I expect compared to #56? I understand that used springs are all different, depending on their wear/milage but any approximate indication would be welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Hi everyone. The rear of my 2011 2 door auto JK is little low to my liking. One could say its perfectly flat when the jeep is empty but I would prefer to have a little rake. This becomes worse when someone gets into the rear seat or if I put any luggage in the trunk. The rear drops. The 285/70/17 spare also affected the stance slightly.

The Jeep has #56 springs in the rear, I can get #58 for very cheap from a guy I know. Will they lift the rear slightly? How much lift can I expect compared to #56? I understand that used springs are all different, depending on their wear/milage but any approximate indication would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Yep, the 58 is 2 steps up from the 56... Each step is roughly 1/4"-5/16". I've measured a bunch of them and wear and tear can also have a profound effect on sag. I would expect about 1/2" lift on that, but it could be more if your springs are sagging. Not much lift, but rear springs can be changed in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
You won’t get much lift from 56 to 58 unless the 56 are really sagged. Usually about 1/8-1/4” per step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts

Thanks!
If yours is 2011 and the two steps up ones are newer then likely 3/8 per step. If they are the same age with weight sitting on old and new set for ten years, probably less of a change.

At this point here are not any new take offs, nor many that did not have a vehicles weight on them for quite a few years, and what to expect gets more unknown.

That said, at ten years old for your current springs, it wont sit lower, and two steps presents very little risk of going too high. As it isn't much labor, I would go for it.

Take the standard measurement before and after, see post #2:How to measure JK lift height ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for valuable advice. I went for it. The springs were from 2017 4 door JK. I don't have measurements but by my estimates the lift is less than an inch. Looks wise it is exactly where I wanted it to be. The ride is slightly more firm in the rear, its barely noticeable but experienced drivers will notice. Nevertheless, I like the ride, it kind of feels like the rear suspension is working better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update after almost 2 months. The rear is stiffer and does not absorb bumps as well as the old setup with 56 springs, the ride is less comfortable and I am not enjoying it. I cant go back to my 56 since I believe they were sagging. Either have to deal with what I have or find newer 56s with less age. Jeep drives better when I have weight or passengers in the back though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts