Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's impossible to find a 5lb fire extinguisher mount. the biggest I've seen is a 3lbs mount and I feel that's not enough. Should I just make a homemade one? Directions if you have done this

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mount (2) 3 lb brackets, one for each side of jeep. That way u have enough and if u can't get to one, u have Access too the other.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I kept a 5 lb bungee corded to my roll bar. After installing the Ace Cargo Basket it doesn't fit real well, I'm looking for a bracket, too.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
another rig on the trail. carb boiled over and set the enginge compartment on fire.

3 extinguishers later and some wiring wizardry he drove it home

·
Registered
929 Posts
Years ago I came upon a car accident and the driver was trapped in her seat, she rolled several times, the motor was not running but there was a heavy smell of gas and the engine compartment was smoking bad, my first thought was " I wish I had a FE" fortunately the car did not ignite but if it would have she would have burned to death as we watched. Ever since then I carry a FE in all my vechicals. And someday I may need it to save my life or someone else's!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Had a 72' Riviera, the cam was worn and it backfired through the carb and the engine compartment went on fire, I didn't have an extinguisher but had a lot of dirt. By the time the fire was out I had to rewire everything, which back then was not too bad, but have always had an extinguisher in my vehicles since.

·
Commercial Member
830 Posts
Who's ever had to use one?
Most off road clubs make it mandatory for each vehicle to have an extinguisher mounted within reach of he driver.

I keep one in the jeep for the same reason I learned CPR....it's best to be prepared rather than face the consequences.

I agree with the idea of mounting two 2.5 pounders. One in front and one in back.

Doc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go to Off-Road Solutions selling Amsteel Blue Synthetic winch line, recovery gear, winches and 4x4 parts. They have a quick release mount that works with a 5 lb unit. It's a little pricey at $65 but it very nice. It have one with a 5 pounder mounted to the left diagonal of the roll bar just inside the rear. Because it's a quick disconnect with a pit pin the design lets it rattle a little when I hit sharp bumps. I remedied that by stretching an o-ring between the hose clamp that hold the base to the roll bar and the hose clamp that holds the extinguisher to the other half of the mount. Kinda hard to describe but it works like a charm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wish I had one when my '66 Chevy Chevelle broke a fan belt at 6000rpm, it reached up and wrapped around the fuel line ripping it loose and spraying gasoline all over the red hot headers from a high volume fuel pump. Fanned blowtorch like flames came roaring thru the shifter boot. I got out ok but man what scary (and goofy) thing to happen. Anyway, I stood there watching my car burn when a semi stopped and a guy jumped out with a big ass 30lb extinguisher. He wouldn't even take money to recharge it, saying I will need to all to fix my car. He was right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts