Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I just did my first oil change on my 17 Rubi JKU and I decided to use 5W30 (Pennzoil Platinum ultra). The oil change went without a hitch and I really appreciate the Jeep design as far as placing the oil filter up top in the engine bay, unlike the twist off nonsense that I had to spend almost 30 minutes on each time with my Ram 2500 Cummins.

Anyways just a heads up to anyone debating use of the 5W30, I noticed that my oil pressure is not running at 99 psi when merging onto the freeway at a 6% grade like it used to before, and I noticed that it runs much quieter as well. The other thing that I noticed is that the temperature doesn't seem to sky rocket while idling like it used.

Just my experience in case anyone is debating between the 2. Anyone here have similar input?

Wouldn't 30 weight be thicker in viscosity and therefore increase pressure but also only in cold Temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
The "30" in "5w30" is the hot viscosity. In cold temps 5w20 and 5w30 should have the same viscosity. The difference would be as the oil is warmed up, like in a running engine. The 5w30 should be a little thicker, so it should (as you mentioned) have a slightly higher oil pressure at operating temp.

The only thing I can think of to explain what the OP is saying would be the fact that the Pentastar 3.6 is supposed to have a two stage oil pump set up, where it brings on the second stage when it wants more oil pressure. So the oil pressure can go from around 45 psi to around 90 psi depending on whether or not it is running the second stage oil pump.

Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts