Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys...I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I have to revisit this topic. My 4 banger 93 YJ is driving me crazy when going up any type of hill. The power is not there and it frustrates me to be following behind a cargo truck in the slow lane with all the fumes. I'm at the point to where I'm about to do the ultimate...yes...get a straight 6. Which 6 banger would you guys recommend? I have two buddies that have had jeeps all their lives and they are willing to assist me with the swap. Or would it be better to let a professional mechanic handle the job? Are you any mechanics here in Northern Cali on this site? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've also read that you can do a few changes to the 4 banger to compensate for its lack of power. Please...your opinions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm glad you brought the subject up. I sold my 6 a couple of years ago and I am looking to get back into a Jeep. There are a lot of 4's out there and I wanted to get some opinions. My 6 was bulletproof and the perfect amount of power for the Jeep, (TJ). I can't imagine dropping down to a four but I have read through the years that a lot of the guys with fours are very happy with them. My brother has a four banger '95 and has no complaints. I've also heard that the mpg isn't that different between them. Mine got around 22 mpg.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Buy a Cherokee of the same model year or newer with the inline 6 and swap everything from that Jeep into your Jeep. Always go Fuel Injected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys...thanks for all the good inputs. I'm going to regear. That appears to be the most logical first step. I also have 33's. Wil keep u posted

·
Registered
22 Posts
Please do. I'm in the same boat as you are. I've thought about regearing but don't know a lot about anything mechanical. I can tell that the power is definitely there to be able to pull up a hill, I just can't hold up a decent speed.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
heres some threads on 4 cyl performance mods
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...08,d.eWU&fp=8d786327089c7a38&biw=1360&bih=643

some say they increase power, some say they are worthless.
as to a motor swap, you will need your motor mounts cut off and 6 cyl mounts welded in, along with the motor you will need to swap the transmission and at least change the input shaft on the transfer case. then you will need the wiring harness and cpu from the 6 cyl. alot of work, about the same as swapping in a v8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts