Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
There's a dealer built one here that I was told is a 6 inch lift on 37's. The bottom door lip is about hip high on me.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
The jk is a great suspension to add a lift to. A little easier than older models and you really don't need much lift for 35's.
there are long arm kits that use 2.5 springs.
Flat flares and a little trimming w/ 2.5-3" coils and 37's will fit nicely,
Plus staying under 3" avoids modifications to driveshafts and steering.

So my point.... There is no point for 6" of lift.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live down south go mudding alot and I really don't wana get a 4inch lift nd be in a situation were the six would of benefited

·
Premium Member
10,233 Posts
haha, I was thinking a hovercraft or maybe a swamp buggy.... why stop at 6"?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Here is T-Rex built by TnTcustoms.com. I watched this Jk on 43s eat alot of rocks. I am just out the shot during the filming of this clip...

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
IMO a Wrangler isn't really a good mudding vehicle. Most of these guys, myself included have a rock crawling preferance and come from a world of LCG, articulation and crawling speeds. 2.5" - 4" is perfect for us and the sweet spot. If you are hard into mudding then the biggest lift you can go and pedal to the floor is the recipe. If all you do is mud and trail ride, 6" wouldn't be bad, however to be streetable, it would be expensive. 6" lifts on JK's can fit 44's though.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
No it is not over kill. I went with the RK 5.5 and got 6 1/2 lift out of it. I let down the front coilovers so I could see better cresting hills. I am running 37's so I can use all the flex I have. If some one wanted to limit there flex then it wouldn't be a problem running 40's or even 42's .

It looks smaller in the picks then it is because the lift makes the 37's look small.

I have it set up to use all that extra fender space I have.

After dropping the front end down past level I got pretty nice down travel out of the front.

So is it over kill? I say it is not if you are willing to spend the coin on it to make it handed all the strain you are putting on everything.

My setup works great for me and i am glad I didn't go with a smaller lift. I drag the belly all the time, I would hate to see what it would be like if i went with 2 inches less of lift.
It probably would be dragging in this pic.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
IMO a Wrangler isn't really a good mudding vehicle. Most of these guys, myself included have a rock crawling preferance and come from a world of LCG, articulation and crawling speeds. 2.5" - 4" is perfect for us and the sweet spot. If you are hard into mudding then the biggest lift you can go and pedal to the floor is the recipe. If all you do is mud and trail ride, 6" wouldn't be bad, however to be streetable, it would be expensive. 6" lifts on JK's can fit 44's though.

-Dan
I agree that the JK isn't a good mudding vehicle (whatever a "good" mudding vehicle is) and most that actually use them intend them to be able to crawl over rocks. But that doesn't mean that 40+ isn't even better in that respect. I would say most here have street/trail rigs, so it isn't a realistic option. But I know that my little jk on 2.5 and 35s won't make it on the big boy trails that a long armed or coil-overed jk on 43s will.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hell no!

Definitely not overkill! Trust me with the 6 in lift and 40s you'll make what others struggle with seem like child's play! Go for it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Depends. What do you want to do?
X2

Depends on the type and kind of wheeling you will do, the overall budget, and the desired tire size.

5-6" really isn't necessary to run 37s or larger tires, and it is a negative for some types of wheeling.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts