Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going in tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation almost at 8400 miles in 6 months... Hope I don't max my credit card adding anything "unnecessary"

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
There is no scheduled service on the 2015 JK/JKU according to my Owners Manual until 20,000 miles. Oil/Filter change is no longer on the schedule as the EVIC now tells you when to change it. If you are going into a dealer to have this done, mark a tire and make sure it moves. Sometimes they forget to rotate them (but they don't forget to charge you). Years ago I had a slow leaking tire (valve core problem) and it was the right front on my PU. Well, after the tire rotation, the right front still had a slow leak. Oops.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just did my first Oil change as well....after this weekend we are at about 8800 miles after about 3 and a half months.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
If it is not in the manual and it is not broken, it is a dealership trying to milk you for money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a few mods via dealer and I was told it was free for the next 2 actually. So I hope it is! Already did my first at valvoline at about 6000 miles. Going on a trip to Florida so I wanna get it checked

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I did a few mods via dealer and I was told it was free for the next 2 actually. So I hope it is! Already did my first at valvoline at about 6000 miles. Going on a trip to Florida so I wanna get it checked
Dealers don't give anything away for free. They're a business. If they can get you in on "free" oil changes that's half the battle getting you in the door. It's up to you to say no to the "up-sell". Your max oil change is 1 yr. or 10,000 miles. If the oil change indicator doesn't go off and you're over the max. recommendation, it should be changed and then the oil change indicator still needs to be re-set because the computer doesn't know that the oil was changed. The dealer should do that, but sometimes they forget. You can easily do it yourself when you pick it up. It only takes a few seconds. Some use EVIC, others don't. It's up to you. I prefer to decide when my oil needs to be changed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have my Willys for just about a month and this past weekend received a note from the stealership that I have an appointment in January.. trying to reel me in!

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
Going in tomorrow for an oil change and tire rotation almost at 8400 miles in 6 months... Hope I don't max my credit card adding anything "unnecessary"
Before you visit the dealer, study the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If they try to tell you that you need a transmission fluid flush and fill and it is nowhere near that in the schedule call them out on it and ask them to show you in writing.

We have lifetime free oil and filter changes where we bought our JK. My wife usually takes it in. I have warned her that they may try to sell her unnecessary services and to NEVER agree to any of them before she talks it over with me.

Sure enough, the other day when she got her regular 3 month free oil change they tried to scare her into having the differential fluids and transfer case fluid changed. Her JK has slightly less than 29,000 miles. The service adviser said that if she did not have these services done the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty would not cover anything that happened. She told them that she would talk it over with her husband first. :)

The maintenance schedule says to change the diff. fluids at 40,000 miles IF it is subject to heavy duty use, which it is not. I will personally change it at 40,000 miles anyway but not before then. I will also accompany her to the service department when she goes in for the next oil change in 3 months. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the heads up... They did the full checkup and rotated and filled tires and changed the oil and filter FOR FREE... So I went and splurged on a car wash... But of course it's gonna rain all day today :(

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
Thanks for all the heads up... They did the full checkup and rotated and filled tires and changed the oil and filter FOR FREE... So I went and splurged on a car wash... But of course it's gonna rain all day today :(
Glad to hear everything turned out OK. Check with the car wash place. Some places have a 24 hour rain guarantee and you can get it washed again for free. :)

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
The owner of my local dealership (he now has three in the area, 2 Mopar and 1 GM was a saleman 35 years ago at a local Honda dealership which was noted for customer service. They would wash any vehicle they serviced before they returned it to the customer. They had a canopy installed between the building and street for displaying vehicles, and if the weather was bad, they would park the cars under it.

Current dealership continues this. My salesman or the sales manager (who was my salesman before his promotion) will see me in the waiting room when in for an oil change and ask if I would like a coke. In the mornings they keep a pot of coffee in there. Of course the table is covered with sales brochures and the service writers will come in and try to up sell some service, although they have just about quit asking me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts