Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just changed the oil for the first time by myself :) always had the dealer do it before and finally said to myself I might as well just do it!

Sooo I know the average oil change takes about 5 quarts so I did the pep boys deal and got that and an oil filter but it says I still need to add more oil so is it 6 quarts???

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
I'm no heavy duty mechanic, but my 2 cents would be to trust your manual before you trust Pep Boys or any other company like that. If you run into problems I doubt they back you. Good luck. :wavey:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Per your owner's manual, yes the 4.0L does indeed require six quarts. 10W-30 is fine. :)
I looked and couldn't find how much it would take! Haha I used 5w-30 is that okay??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,393 Posts
5W-30 is ok. I tend to only use 5W-30 in very cold conditions, 10W-30 is fine year-round for most of California. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bruck said:
I'm no heavy duty mechanic, but my 2 cents would be to trust your manual before you trust Pep Boys or any other company like that. If you run into problems I doubt they back you. Good luck. :wavey:
Yeah pepboys sometime doesn't know everything but they always give me the best customer service so I always go back haha

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh okay well then my next change I'll use 10W-30 :)

What kind of oil do you use?? I used mobile 1 Fully synthetic

·
Knows a couple things...
49,393 Posts
I prefer non-synthetic for all my engines and have used non-synthetics for 40+ years with never an engine problem even though I keep them all well past 100K miles. I use Valvoline 10W-30 though other good quality oils like Havoline, Mobil, Castrol, Shell, etc. are very good too. The only time I would switch to a synthetic would be during winter conditions in some place like Buffalo NY, North Dakota, etc. Synthetic is well known to be better in uber cold conditions but not necessarily in temperate conditions. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
I prefer non-synthetic for all my engines and have used non-synthetics for 40+ years with never an engine problem even though I keep them all well past 100K miles. I use Valvoline 10W-30 though other good quality oils like Havoline, Mobil, Castrol, Shell, etc. are very good too. The only time I would switch to a synthetic would be during winter conditions in some place like Buffalo NY, North Dakota, etc. Synthetic is well known to be better in uber cold conditions but not necessarily in temperate conditions. :)
Ohh okay! They guy I bought the jeep from has always used mobile 1 synthetic so I thought I should keep using the same.

Is it bad to change or what do you think??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,393 Posts
That you can't go back or switch either way from both types (mineral and synthetic) is nothing more than an old wive's tale. You can switch back & forth, go back to mineral based oil after running synthetic for 100,000 miles or visa-versa, or even mix synthetic and mineral based oils together... they are fully compatible, not mutually exclusive, are fully mixable if need be, etc.. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it's been syn don't go back to reg oil just change every 6k now to off set the cost but I don't use syn 97 4.0 I like valvoline 10 30 but when I get to 100k I'll use valvoline high mileage.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
That you can't go back or switch either way from both types (mineral and synthetic) is nothing more than an old wive's tale. You can switch back & forth, go back to mineral based oil after running synthetic for 100,000 miles or visa-versa, or even mix synthetic and mineral based oils together... they are fully compatible, not mutually exclusive, are fully mixable if need be, etc.. :)
Oh really!? That is interesting! Hmm I might have to go to mineral oil!

What are the benefits of mineral oil over synthetic??

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Mineral just means regular dinosaur juice from the ground.

That was an old myth that you cannot switch.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I do my own oil changes and didn't realize my jeep took 6 qts either. I was at Walmart doing the oil filter look up deal and it said 6qts. I was intrigued about that. My 99 exploder had a 4.0 and it took 5qts.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I do my own oil changes and didn't realize my jeep took 6 qts either. I was at Walmart doing the oil filter look up deal and it said 6qts. I was intrigued about that. My 99 exploder had a 4.0 and it took 5qts.
you guys never check the dipstick after oil changes?

·
Banned
139 Posts
What exactly is a "Pep Boys Deal?" Sounds like "raw deal" which is pretty much what you'll get if you hang around those long-faced coyotes for long. Most of the retards who work there failed to graduate elementary school, and 99% of the shelved product is JUNK.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
you guys never check the dipstick after oil changes?
I do but this was the first time I changed the oil since I owned it. The dealer changed the oil right before I bought it so I just thought it took 5. Hadn't had it for a few months. Guess that's what get for thinking.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JD Adams said:
What exactly is a "Pep Boys Deal?" Sounds like "raw deal" which is pretty much what you'll get if you hang around those long-faced coyotes for long. Most of the retards who work there failed to graduate elementary school, and 99% of the shelved product is JUNK.
The deal was 5qt of oil and a filter for $32.99.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts