Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like a lot of you guys I've occasionally experienced the 1st to 2nd hard shifting/notchiness/grind, usually only when its cold though...once it warms up it usually goes away. My question is do you guys think its worth doing a fluid change when its really shifting ok for the most part? Tranny has 50,000 on it. I see that most with the same problem havent had much change after changing out the fluid with redline, rp, mopar, ect...problem is still there for most people, occasionally gets better but sometimes gets worse. You guys think its worth the money and freezing my a** off in 30 degree weather to do it or should i just leave it as is? Just worried that it might not make a difference or makes the problem worse.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i used pennzoil synchromesh in my 05 and it worked fine, been in there for a few 1000 miles now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changed mine. Used Royal Purple, had Mopar fluid before. The change to second was no better. Still have that small little grind. Double clutching is about all that really helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put royal purple in my 05's 6 sp. It took around 1000 miles for it to smooth out from 1st to 2nd but 25k later it's still smooth

·
Registered
555 Posts
My 06 is the same way and from my understanding is normal. I'd change that Tranny every 30k no matter like recc. Doubt you can get the issue to go away but maybe smooth out a little.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I put Amsoil Synchromesh in mine. It helped, but the real key is to shift slowly.
I've changed how I shift, allowing 1.5 to 2 seconds (... one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two...) for the process from pulling it out of first, crossing the neutral gate, and into second.
Using that method, it doesn't grind, and there's really no need for me to shift any faster. Even if I'm pulling out onto a highway and need to accelerate fast, I just wind first out a little farther to allow for the slow 1-2 shift...
(I had a WR T18 in the CJ I had for 16 yrs, so slow, deliberate shifts are second nature to me ;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts