Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed before, but I can't seem to find an answer. My NSG370 has a hard time shifting into first gear when taking off from a complete stop. The weird thing is that it shifts smoothly when cold, but after about 30 mins I have to hold the clutch in for about five seconds in order to get it in gear. Any ideas? I figure the synchros are good if it works when cold, and the clutch is fine since everything in the tranny slows down when the clutch pedal is held down. I changed the oil about two years ago with Pennzoil Synchromesh and the level is still good. It also seems to happen more in the winter time.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Temperature can impact smooth shifting under the right conditions sometimes...
Mine shifts great, but once in a while first will be a little stubborn sliding in to 1st gear from N at a stop light. Keep the clutch in, shift to second then back up to first. That trick works for me.

Reactions: Mattific

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've owned nothing but manuals since I started driving, a total of 6.

All I've driven have had this issue to an extent, some have it worse than others seeing as all but 1 I bought used it's hard to say if they're worse due to more wear and tear or if it's worse to because that's just how that transmission is.

Like tzukows said, do 2-1 shift if it's jammed. If it starts grinding or crunching then... yeah it's time to worry. Other wise, just play with it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same issue with second gear as well :p All I can do is hold the clutch in for a few seconds before I can shift. It really sucks when driving in the city :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bump second, it seems to align the syncros then throw it in first. @JuliusHT. Pretend you driving an 18 wheeler, slow steady shifts and she’ll cruise right along for you. You can’t speed shift it like a sports car.

Reactions: tzukows

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I replaced my clutch a few months ago and my shifting problem went away. I believe the pilot bearing was rough enough to not fully allow the input shaft to stop spinning. During the winter this was probably worse due to the bearing contracting in the cold weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts