Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 2014 Wrangler, 6 speed man. I have read most of the threads regarding this transmission, and I do not want to seem redundant. My jeep has 500 miles on it and I just wanted to verify with all you guys that my concern is just a normal Jeep feel. 2nd gear appears tough to get in, but no grinding. Third gear , I can feel the synchro's slightly as it enters, and reverse is difficult to get into most of the time. I have been a Mercedes Mechanic my whole life, but I am new to the Jeep family.
I love the jeep and realize it is a rough around the edges, type of vehicle. I would just feel better if all you guys told me that this is part of owning a jeep and normal for this 6 speed. What are your experiences with the new 6 speed?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a 2011 JK and when accelerating I would normally go 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th at about 45 mph. It will get "broken in" soon enough. I did sometimes have to hunt for reverse.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The JK manual 6 spd. is the same trans. since 07. When you shift, shift it. Don't go easy with it. For reverse, push it all the way to the right and down with some authority. If you try to ease it in like pretty much any other domestic or foreign manual it won't work as well. For lack of a better term, don't limp wrist it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
The JK manual 6 spd. is the same trans. since 07. When you shift, shift it. Don't go easy with it. For reverse, push it all the way to the right and down with some authority. If you try to ease it in like pretty much any other domestic or foreign manual it won't work as well. For lack of a better term, don't limp wrist it.
Actually it was also used in the last year or 2 of the TJ as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
OP rest assure everything you mentioned is the same with mine. It's a finicky gearbox. Somedays it shifts smoother and others it's rough and stubborn. But still it's a jeep and I wouldn't have it any other way than manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 2014 was horrible in the winter going into second gear from day one, once warmed up it is better. Now that it has 2800 miles and is warm out it is much better, not what I would expect on a $40,000 vehicle though, a bit disappointed...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I remember my T4 on my '85 CJ7.. Now THAT was a tranny :)

Drive one of those for a while, and your 6spd will feel smooth as butter..

·
Registered
144 Posts
All of the 6 speeds I drove, including the one I bought, feel very smooth. I haven't had any engagement issues. But, I don't try to jam it through the gears, I try to be very fluid with it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
All of the 6 speeds I drove, including the one I bought, feel very smooth. I haven't had any engagement issues. But, I don't try to jam it through the gears, I try to be very fluid with it.
Same here. Mines smooth. I shift in a fluid motion in two distinct steps. I double clutch 2nd when it's cold. Switching to Amsoil syncromesh helped especially during winter.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a 2014 JKU with 6 speed Manual with 11,000 miles and it has gotten better and smoother since 500 miles. Well about as smooth as it will get, hang in there probably just need to get used to it and it needs to settle.....mine feels great I love manual Jeep

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have driven my 99 cummins dodge 3/4 ton with the 5spd for 14 years all of my vehicles have been manual and I love my 6spd in my new JKU with 2000 miles on it. Compared to my dodge 3/4 ton it feels like a Mercedes or some high end sports car. My truck feels like my old farm tractor.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Mine was over 1000 miles before it started feeling smooth. It was an absolute bitch to cross over the reverse gate when new, to the point where I'd have to fiddle around with it for about 30 seconds every time. All that has totally gone away.

At 1500 miles, I switched it over to synthetic oil and that helped the feel a little more. Its never going to feel like a sports car clutch/trans, but its still very fun and engaging to drive with the Pentastar.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have 40K miles on it, (bought it used)... The 1 to 2 shift is a little rough...I changed to Amzoil Sycro mesh fluid....Made the shift a lot better but I still Double clutch or pull it into the Neutral gate and then slowly into 2nd... Works for me....
I don't like slamming gears in these cheap assed gear boxes, yer asking for trouble...

"BH"

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have just purchased a 2014 Wrangler, 6 speed man. I have read most of the threads regarding this transmission, and I do not want to seem redundant. My jeep has 500 miles on it and I just wanted to verify with all you guys that my concern is just a normal Jeep feel. 2nd gear appears tough to get in, but no grinding. Third gear , I can feel the synchro's slightly as it enters, and reverse is difficult to get into most of the time. I have been a Mercedes Mechanic my whole life, but I am new to the Jeep family.
I love the jeep and realize it is a rough around the edges, type of vehicle. I would just feel better if all you guys told me that this is part of owning a jeep and normal for this 6 speed. What are your experiences with the new 6 speed?
Then you should be in known territory, this transmission has been sourced from Mercedes :)

Mine is now smooth, except going into 2nd when freezing cold and trans not warmed up yet.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The best thing about my '13 is that it has the 5-speed auto!

Of the seven manual trans vehicles I've owned, my '12 Wrangler was the worst. Like I was driving an early 1960s grain truck. Noisy as hell. Popped out of first and (especially) fourth. No doubt I had a bad one.

One of the main reasons I got rid of the vehicle. If only it had been as sweet a trans as the 5-speed in my '98.....

·
Registered
323 Posts
My '13 6 speed shifts smoothly into all gears although it is notchy. I have owned many manuals, and think this is the noisiest transmission I have ever owned, but it does the job. It rattles while it idles with the clutch depressed, and it makes other clunking noises during regular shifts, as well as vibrates noisily when your RPM's drop too low without downshifting. All that aside, I love my Jeep, could care less. If I wanted "refined" and "quiet", I would have bought a Cadillac. But good luck getting a Cadillac out into the Maze at Canyonlands without a hitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally became so frustrated , I forced keep to take 2014 back for full refund and purchased a new 2016 automatic. The manual transmission is absolute garbage. Not a fan of the six speed at all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Didn't realize it was an old thread. I wonder why some people have a bad experience with the manual. For me I've not had those problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts