Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have some serious issues with that "general" overview..Synchro couplers have back tapers to assure positive lock whilst torque is transferred..
My previous reference was typical for the JK manual transmission..
The reference to the helical gear axial forces is correct however the effect on the synchro is minimal as this movement is all included into the design parameters...
i an not at all familiare with the jk 6 speed however in most cases synchros play no roll on a trans popping out of gear

·
Registered
462 Posts
i an not at all familiare with the jk 6 speed however in most cases synchros play no roll on a trans popping out of gear
I respectfully disagree:

The internal splines of the synchro sleeve have a "backtaper" to assure positive lock with the gear coupler teeth (dogteeth) once the synchronization has been done..In fact these gear dogteeth have a backtaper as well.. This is the locking feature to avoid JOG..

Enjoy

·
Registered
369 Posts
I respectfully disagree:

The internal splines of the synchro sleeve have a "backtaper" to assure positive lock with the gear coupler teeth (dogteeth) once the synchronization has been done..In fact these gear dogteeth have a backtaper as well.. This is the locking feature to avoid JOG..

Enjoy
i do believe u are correct in the fact that may cause pop

out however i think in most cases it is a alignment problem do to bad bearings case and point a lot of transes pop out of reverse and reverse isnt synchronized also for no synchronized transes its the sliding clutches that cause pop out

·
Registered
462 Posts
i do believe u are correct in the fact that may cause pop

out however i think in most cases it is a alignment problem do to bad bearings case and point a lot of transes pop out of reverse and reverse isnt synchronized also for no synchronized transes its the sliding clutches that cause pop out
I will also admit that backtaper issues are NOT the only cause for JOG..I have been heavily involved with HD manual transmission sync and non sync. Those transmission having multiple inner walls are very "sensitive" to shaft misalignment and will indeed induce JOG..

Anyway, I don't want to highjack this thread and like to stick to the JK transmission...Quite some Jeepers have JOG issues starting with low mileage and in my humble opinion the shift lever tower, which is a final assembly line item, is the first thing I was going to look into..
I don't know whether there is a way for a dealer to remove all of shift boots, shifter sled, etc.. and road test the JOG Jeep with the shifter straight to the transmission shift stub. This will eliminate all these possible interferences..

Outcome of this test will define the next step..either fix the interferences or get a new transmission..;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Going back into the shop for the 3rd time next week. They are planning to keep it for a couple of days and hopefully dig deeper into the problem beyond driving it and being unable to reproduce the problem.

Has anyone heard more about a potential recall?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did a check in the NHTSA data base of the complaints and investigations and I couldn't find any..
Only the issue with auto transmissions overheating..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It would seem that this is not an isolated case - in fact is fairly common. Not sure what it takes for someone to take notice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tremec T-56 pops out of 1st now and then but it's due to a crappy shifter (04-06 GTO's had sloppy shifter linkage) and lazy shifting by me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lucky

Dealer sent me home and stuck me with the rental car bill. Did i mention it poped out on my way home!!!!

You can imagine I'm Pissed :banghead: very pissed :firedevil:

I sent a letter to corporate, salesman, General service manager and i will be trying to get in contact with the Jeep rep when they come for there quarterlty visit.

Also in the mean time i am documenting the mileage, time, date, condition of each issue (i have 3 issues they refuse to resolve). I got my jeep back on friday, it poped out 6 times this weekend.

This is really turning me off of Jeep.

Other issues include:

Navigation/Cd player turns off intermittenly
Key Fob fails to operate

anyone have these issues?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have removed the console and the upper and lower shifter boot yesterday, and so far it has not done it since. I will put them back in one at a time and see if i can isolate the culprit. On the other hand, if it does do it in the next couple of days with the boots off, that only really leaves the gearbox itself. will post up progress for those interested

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am following a similar issue in other forums and know of two cases where the removal of the inner boot and the skid plate above the trans (under the floor control bezel) created successful results. (no JOG)

First indications are that the skid plate (#8 in earlier posted pic) is pushing the inner boot hence creating extra interference with the shift lever. (this might get compounded with inner boot stiffness/durometer in very cold weather)
I suggested to him to slot the skid plate mounting holes around the studs and retest.. I will keep you updated.. I have some of his pics and will post them as soon as he gives me permission..;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dropped off at the dealership again this morning. They are going to dig a bit deeper into trying to figure this out. I printed off a copy of this thread so that they could see some of the insights posted here. Thanks to all. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received a call today from the dealer, telling me they are going to order me a new transmission and shift tower. Chrsyler is aware of this issue but has not identified a root cause.

I wrote a letter, and it was elevated from the Dealer to the feild engineer responsible for the state.

I think this will be a recall in the future. I couldn't be more happy.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
^ That's great. Took mine in for the problem last week, then when I get there to pick it up they said, you'll need to bring it back when we have a transmission person here! Gee ... that's what I booked the appointment for.

Anyway, I will be heading back shortly so we'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I received a call today from the dealer, telling me they are going to order me a new transmission and shift tower. Chrsyler is aware of this issue but has not identified a root cause.

I wrote a letter, and it was elevated from the Dealer to the feild engineer responsible for the state.

I think this will be a recall in the future. I couldn't be more happy.
Just out of curiosity, what state are you in?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just got off the phone with the service manager. He had spoken with the Chrysler Field Tech. The Tech is familiar with the issue and has authorized the dealership to replace the transmission assembly and shifter. Have to wait a week or so on parts but looks like a solution may be in sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in Minnesota... probably the same rep. They said he has a 6-state area. At least one of them is out there doing their job!
I would assume this is a potential recall... they just need how to fix it instead of replacing everyones transmissions!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay... dropped off this morning at the dealership for replacement of the transmission and shifter assemblies. Apparently they are replacing everything from the transmission to the shifter knob. Should have it back in a couple of days and will provide another update then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have narrowed it down to the shifter boot (the one on the top, not the one on the sled) on my jeep anyway.I have had the whole console and boot assemblies out, putting them back in one at a time a few weeks apart, it didnt start popping out until i put the top one back on. I also had a meeting with the state jeep rep, he told me the "your jeep is the only one we know of that has this problem" story. So i was able to get his email address and permission to pass it on to others who are having this same issue so that the ball can start rolling on a permanent fix. If anyone is interested pm me your email details and i will forward his addy to you. it doesnt matter to him where you are from it just to show that the problem exisits. In the mean time, try taking off the top boot-the one on the console- and see if yours still do it and post up your findings. Mine seems that the boot does not have enough travel in it for the forward shifts, (i actually had it jump out of
3rd the other day on the way to the dealer with the boot installed) it like the hole for the stick is to far rearwards in the boot. the dealership checked part no's, there is no difference between the US boot and the Export boot, so yours will be the same as mine., i have some pics of takeing off the boot if anyone needs help, all you will need is a trim tool or even a butter knife and about 2 mins.

21 - 40 of 634 Posts