Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

621 - 634 of 634 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE- Removing the boot did not help at all like some others said it did. If anything, it made it worse.

I see this saga is still on the go. I solved my problem by moving the top plate that bolts the gearshift to to gear box back 2mm...
Thanks for this info- I'll try this next. Do you have a picture of the plate? I'm in there, and I can't really tell what part that is. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I see this saga is still on the go. I solved my problem by moving the top plate that bolts the gearshift to to gear box back 2mm. You have to remove the locating pin in the plate first so that it can move. Its a 30min job. It wasnt my idea, I read it somewhere on the WWW. After the adjustment it never happened again, ever.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Is your Jeep a TJ or a JK? I don't see a "top plate" on my JK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My current Jeep is a JK. Auto. But the Jeep I had the problem with was a TJ. 6Sp Manual. See pic. You undo the 4 bolts that hold the assy that holds the gearlever stub. Dont worry, no springs will come flying out. Then you will see there is a locating pin that prevents the assy from shifting. Remove this locating pin and reassemble. But move the assy as far back as you can before tightening the 4x bolts. In the post where I originally read this the guy slotted the holes to enable more movement but I found the 1 or 1.5mm it moved without the locating pin was enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My current Jeep is a JK. Auto. But the Jeep I had the problem with was a TJ. 6Sp Manual. See pic. You undo the 4 bolts that hold the assy that holds the gearlever stub. Dont worry, no springs will come flying out. Then you will see there is a locating pin that prevents the assy from shifting. Remove this locating pin and reassemble. But move the assy as far back as you can before tightening the 4x bolts. In the post where I originally read this the guy slotted the holes to enable more movement but I found the 1 or 1.5mm it moved without the locating pin was enough.

Thanks for the update. In the TJ, can that be done from inside the Jeep, or did you have to drop the transmission? I know in my JK 6 spd those bolts are not visible from inside the Jeep (with the upper & lower boots removed).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely from inside the Jeep. Its a 30min job. Have to remove the centre console but after that its a walk in the park.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No definitely not. Funny enough I saw the original solve on a Merc Sprinter forum. Same gearbox as the TJ. But the JK has a different box.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't checked myself, but the JK looks to be more or less the same as your TJ. Check out this video on the B&M precision shifter assembly installation for the JK. Specifically, check from the 5 minute mark.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/b-m-precision-sport-manual-short-shifter-nsg370-0717-jk.html

I have not looked under the foam insulator.... yet... I wonder if there is any play in the JK shifter where it could be moved the 1 or 1.5mm that solved the problem with the TJ popping out of gear?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's also possible that the B&M precision shifter assembly could help. It will probably engage the fork mechanism in the trans a little differently than the stock unit, and I'm pretty sure it has a stiffer ball detent to hold each position. That should make it a little more resistant to popping out, at least in theory.

Obviously, there is no guarantee that this would work, as it all depends on what the true root cause is. I would never just suggest throwing parts at a problem, especially a super expensive one like this, but maybe it's worth a phone call to B&M?

Reactions: Lockdown

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It happened to me today on the turnpike but when I looked down at my shifter there was the head of an Irish Setter where 6th gear used to be. So I was able to solve my issue with a dog biscuit. :bop:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I read through this entire thread hoping someone had results for the B&M shifter. I've seen videos, but no long term results stating the shifter quit popping out of first gear.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I read through this entire thread hoping someone had results for the B&M shifter. I've seen videos, but no long term results stating the shifter quit popping out of first gear.
This isn't the exact answer you looking for but I installed the B&M around 5k miles ago. I didn't go back through this thread and may have posted some or all of this already..

First manual in 20 years. All previous MT's were 4-5 speed trucks or Broncos. Never owned a car with an MT so I would say I had no quality MT to compare the JK to. The JK felt sloppy from the start. When I started reading threads about jumping out of gear and Jeeps sitting at dealers waiting on tranny parts my heart sank. I had not experienced any JOG issues but decided to try the B&M in an effort to be proactive. It made a HUGE improvement in my driving experience. It absolutely has a much firmer engagement in gear. It glides to the next gear in a smoother more precise manner. I can't say if it will stop the JOG issue and it comes with a large price tag but if it's in your budget I think it's worth a shot. I'm very happy I did.

621 - 634 of 634 Posts