Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just recently joined the forum and introduced myself after I bought my first Wrangler a couple of months ago. It's a 2014 Unlimited Rubi that I bought "used" (5,000 miles hah). I have two questions that may be simple and dumb, but kinda want some peace of mind if it's no big deal, or I want you to let me know if you think it's something you'd have checked out.

1. Is it normal for the shift knob to shake? I wouldn't say it's violently shaking or anything, but definitely noticeable. Is this just one of those Jeep things? My 350z is a stick hand that shift knob has never moved. Also, this morning it popped itself out of gear when I went over a nice hole/bump in the road I managed to overlook. Scared the hell out of me because it made a horrible grinding noise.

2. Where was your clutch at when your Jeep was relatively new? By that I mean, where did you feel the engagement point...toward the "top," or maybe in the middle? Again, with the Z when that was brand new the engagement point felt to be around 3/4 of the way up. Now, after learning to drive on that car and 130,000 miles later, that baby feels like it's at the tippy tip top of the clutch pedal (and is obviously ready to replace). My Wrangler clutch feels like it's pretty close to the top too. So my only fear is that someone learned to drive on it and wore the clutch out a good bit and I'll be replacing a clutch a lot sooner than I planned. Does engagement point location mean significant things about clutch lifetime/condition?

Okay and fine, I realize I have one more question now, but it's really just me wondering what your opinion is. What do y'all think of the hill start assist? I personally am not the biggest fan of it in daily driving. I can certainly see the benefits when off roading, and for that reason, I wish it was an option you could turn on or off. It just feels funny to me when I feel that thing kick in, and kinda feels like it's gonna stall. I'd prefer to just roll back a little and take off. Of course it's no deal breaker, just somethin I noticed and was curious of what others think!

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you search around you will find that "wobbling" sticks are pretty normal. Jumping out of gear on a bump isn't, though. A few years back there was an internal issue w/ the gearbox that was being fixed by dealers, but that issue is fixed in the newer models. It was only related to a first-gear pop-out. There is a possibility that the shift boot is causing interference and preventing full engagement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...8.8566j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
374 Posts
Your shifter will always shake. The 6 speed is a big, sloppy transmission with a huge throw. The longer the throw, the more movement you're gonna get out of the knob.

I got mine with 6 miles on the odometer when I pulled off the lot. The catching point of the clutch is rather high for full engagement, but I would say about halfway through release I can start creeping. Overall, I like the feel of it, but yeah, it's gonna be a lot different than your old sport car.

As for the Hill-Assist, I turned it off within 50 miles, and never looked back. I've gone off roading several times with the Wrangler (only have 4000 miles on it so far), and never once have I thought to myself, "Man, I should turn HSA back on."

·
Registered
392 Posts
My shifter shakes, but not terribly bad. I test drove a stick shift 2013 Moab, and that shifter was crazy bad.

Clutch is high on mine too; a car transmission this is not.

Oddly enough the HSA does not bother me, although I thought it would. It is still engaged.

Only real complaint I have with this transmission is the annoying 3rd gear rattle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My shifter shakes but nothing too bad. Had a tranny go out on a truck a few years ago - the Jeep doesn't shake like that one did when it welded itself into a lump at 70 MPH :)

I couldn't get used to the clutch engagement until I turned the hill assist off. Others on here have said they like it and maybe it's the best thing since sliced bread: but I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for a long time - everything from dumptrucks to sports cars - and I just couldn't get used to the hill assist. I fought it every time I tried to start, especially on a hill. Once I turned it off the clutch behaved like I expected and it drives much better for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great responses, thank you so much! Helpful information!
As for that incident this morning with popping out of gear, I'll keep an eye on it. Could have been all me, and maybe there's a possibility I didn't have it in gear all the way (I think I was in third when it happened).

I'll search around to figure out how to disable the HSA! Thanks again, y'all!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My shifter shakes too. They all do to my knowledge. at first it was kind of annoying but now i dont even notice it and my engagement is about at 75% of the way up maybe just a hair more.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Had three Wranglers since '98 and the shifter shook on all of them. The clutch is also heavier duty than any car so it will feel different and that's a good thing.

Popping out of gear was a recall for my '08 but if you've got a '14, doubtful it's the same issue (synchros on 1 & 3 were bad).

Welcome to Wrangler; these are all good things. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
#1 - It is normal. On a smooth road it vibrates due to a direct connection.
#2 - It engages approx. 3/4 up. My 10 has always done it and still does. That's normal.
#2 1/2 - I like the HSA. Once you work with it I think you might find that you like it. My YJ obviously doesn't have it but I drive both and never find it's a problem that one has it and the other doesn't. Personal preference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also came from a sports car. 2013 WRX. There was a bit of getting used to the Wrangler. It took about a week. Throws are longer, clutch is giant, and gears are a lot longer. Im still getting used to the hill assist. I had it in the Suby, but the jeep seems to stick harder. Enjoy your Jeep!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I also came from a sports car. 2013 WRX. There was a bit of getting used to the Wrangler. It took about a week. Throws are longer, clutch is giant, and gears are a lot longer. Im still getting used to the hill assist. I had it in the Suby, but the jeep seems to stick harder. Enjoy your Jeep!
You know how to drive a manual; lose the hill assist; you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i also think people have found brakes to last longer with HSA turned off. i hated mine.

i have 11k miles on my JKUR. the only thing that bothers me about the 6 speed is all the sounds that come while shifting and hopping on the clutch.

·
Registered
215 Posts
1. Look at it this way: the body of the Jeep (where you sit) is somewhat isolated from the wheels/axles/transmission via the suspension. Thus, when you hit bumps, the wheel and the axle jumps all around, but the feel to the body is dampened by the springs/shocks. The transmission (including the shift lever) is attached to the axle/s. So you have softened bump feel in the driver's compartment, and this stick shift, which is attached to the axle, jumps up and down with the wheel/axle/drive shaft/transmission. So the shift lever moves separately than the passenger compartment. totally normal.

Wait until you drive up some washboarded gravel roads, that shift lever is jumpin'!!!

2. My clutch engages about 1/3 of the way up from the floorboard.

3. Hated the shift assist, and I live in a hilly town, I think it actually contributed to a lot of early stalls I had because the clutch would feel different depending on flat or slope or the steepness. I would never know where the engagement point was because the brakes were holding the car from moving, and it was difficult to get a consistent feel for how much gas to give it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hill assist is an abomination. I would like to personally give the inventor (male or female) an atomic wedgie. I learned on a 71 Datsun 510 in the northeast where I drove uphill both ways in the snow with bald tires, no heater and had to reach outside while driving with my drivers license to scrape a hole big enough to see through the sheet of ice on my windshield. Those were the days I tell ya, now we gotta buncha panty waste crap. Stop screwin with manual transmissions!!!! Damnit, now I gotta cook some bacon and calm down. :atomic:

And oh yeah, my stick shakes like a 90 year old with Parkinsons. Thank god, reminds me I aint drivin a car.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
HSA is a great feature, especially off road. When you learn how to properly use it, you will never engage it on road unless you want to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't notice a difference in clutch feel with HSA on or off. I tried both and just left it on because I do a lot of 1st gear start offs on steep hills and it helps save the clutch. Brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hill assist is an abomination. I would like to personally give the inventor (male or female) an atomic wedgie. I learned on a 71 Datsun 510 in the northeast where I drove uphill both ways in the snow with bald tires, no heater and had to reach outside while driving with my drivers license to scrape a hole big enough to see through the sheet of ice on my windshield. Those were the days I tell ya, now we gotta buncha panty waste crap. Stop screwin with manual transmissions!!!! Damnit, now I gotta cook some bacon and calm down. :atomic:

And oh yeah, my stick shakes like a 90 year old with Parkinsons. Thank god, reminds me I aint drivin a car.

The first thing I did was shutoff HSA in the premium EVIC, that is without a doubt the most annoying nanny device ever created.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts