Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it sounds crazy:rofl: but before you go to something else just read. I have been doing lots of research and I have read many a article and have seen several builds of the 2.5L wrangler Tj and have magicaly seen people pull 80+ horsepower of of the mighty little 4 cylinder. My question is that after I bore out my plenum to accept the 60mm throttle body from a 4.0L can I buy intake kits for the 4.0L instead of the 2.5 due to having the different throttle body? I know it sounds stupid to all those out there who do not own the 2.5 or know hhow impossible it is to pull anymore hp than it already has, but if I had the cash to get the 4.7L stroker engine from Quadratec.com I would but working 2 jobs and going to college I just cant do that. Even a clean 4.0L would be nice along with all the parts to keep it a manuel.:facepalm:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really??? you didnt have to bore out your plenum or anything at all??? just bolt it on and go? no problems at all??

·
Registered
41 Posts
really??? you didnt have to bore out your plenum or anything at all??? just bolt it on and go? no problems at all??
I know its an old thread but yes, i just dis the 4.0 TB switch to my 97 tj 2.5. I recently swapped out my muffler to a 30$ Thrush from Autozone and i have a "cold air intake" on as well. Definitely an increase in performance while going up hills and while cruising at 45 and hitting gas to pass. I jave the 30RH also (3 speed automatic?) I believe the stock 4.0 is 58mm and tapers, so a 60mm straight through might be. Little better too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dyno tests have proven there is absolutely no gain in horsepower by swapping the 4.0 throttle body on to the 2.5. It just changes the rate of the incoming air. Gas pedal feels more sensitive. 2.5L has it's peak HP at 5000rpm. Not really usable.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
Dyno tests have proven there is absolutely no gain in horsepower by swapping the 4.0 throttle body on to the 2.5. It just changes the rate of the incoming air. Gas pedal feels more sensitive. 2.5L has it's peak HP at 5000rpm. Not really usable.
X2, it's kind of like holding your mouth open a little wider to breathe through while just walking around, your mouth can still only open so wide when at full power needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts