Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20170607_100444.jpg

20170612_120056.jpg

So we did a cross country road trip, 7 of us in my 2016 Black bear. NC to AZ. Was awesome. I can honestly say, it was a blast. Yeah crowded, yeah we got a whole mess of looks from the number of people in the Jeep. But we got to run some trails in Sedona which were awesome, cross the Mississippi, got buzzed by some dude doing crop dusting along I40 in Arkansas, saw some HUGE windmills in Texas. Driving through the painted desert at night with the top down was unbelievable, the sky was brilliant. The views were better than I expected and my stock JKU rocked it all the way. We hit 118 degrees in Pheonix (did not know the thermometer when that high) where the JKU A/C pretty much gave me the middle finger, rode up to 8,500 (that's high for us East coast folk). When done, we turned around the next week and did the same rig from NC to Buffalo, NY.

So my JKU has now been in 15 states, 3 time zones, gone from sea level to 8500 ft, operated at -10F to 118 F. Cannot wait for a couple years when we do the road trip to Montana. Seeing the country that way, is just awesome. I cannot think of another vehicle I would rather be in. Sure our Expedition might be more comfortable but getting offroad, taking the top and doors off, really being part of the trip not riding in a luxury tube cut off from it, WAY better.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sounds interesting. How to you fit seven people in a JKU for such a trip when there are only five seat belts? Do you have a third row seat installed?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sounds interesting. How to you fit seven people in a JKU for such a trip when there are only five seat belts? Do you have a third row seat installed?
I was wondering the same!
Hopefully there will be more pics coming.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I bought these https://littlepassengerseats.com/shop/jeep/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-2013-bench/ and installed them took about 20 minutes for me to install, their specs exceed federal standards by a good margin. I got the top line leather ones with the shoulder straps and installed them front facing. I tried rear facing for about 3 days and it made me WAY too nervous with the kids legs up against the tailgate. All it would take it a little love tap on the back to give them a permanent limp. To get in they take down the driver side seat like you do on any 2 door sedan. We also came up with an emergency exit plan which they LOVED to test, out the back or sides.

With the seatbelt options we actually have belts for 8.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like an amazing trip! - I'm Jealous! Luv to see more pics.
20170618_194222.jpg

That was one when we went out to watch the sunset over the Painted Desert. We got a TON of awesome nature shots. I scratched the surface on the trails in Sedona and nearby areas. I could spent 2 months there and not hit them all. They had them for just about and rig setup and experience. The one I have in the earlier picture - Outlaw Trail was ranked for moderate, just watch the high points (were not a lot of them) and a stock rig could do it easily. Had some awesome viewpoints. There is a Jeep Rental business in Sedona (not the jeep tours but actual rental), where they have maps and trail stickers, and some pretty cool Jeeps to rent if you did not bring your own. The folks who ran it were awesome to chat with and VERY helpful in finding trails. If you find yourself in Sedona and without your Jeep they are worth looking up (https://barlows.us/ ), they are right on the main road that runs into town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts