Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a jeep army flatbed kaiser working and am running into issues.
all electrical components oil cooler engine cooler trans cooler and fuel pumps are working. However when I attempt to start it not a peep from the engine the starter makes no sound either I've eliminated any wiring issues by rewiring everything but still no dice. I just want to be pretty sure it IS the starter that's bad before I pull it out.

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
what kind of volt reading are you getting at the starter?

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
so it has power..but nothing happens... I would say remove the starter.. and have it tested at this point.. wish I had a better answer.

·
Administrator
42,164 Posts
Wow, I've always loved those trucks, I case you didn't know, that's an M-715.

Your problem sounds to be the starter soleniod. The stock M-715 doesn't have an actual solenoid since the foot starter switch acts like one. I'd check the connections on the foot starter switch (assuming you are still using one).

I wish I could be of more help and don't want to steer you away from the forum, but there is another forum dedicated to M-715s you may want to check out:

M715 Zone - Powered by vBulletin

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you're sure the battery is good:

Grab a set of jumper cables and run one from the negative terminal to bare metal on the transmission/engine. Put it in neutral, clamp the positive terminal with the other cable, and just touch the other end to the starter/solenoid bolt.

If it kicks over then, you have a problem with your wiring/ignition or grounding straps. If it doesn't you have an open circuit starter/solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beastmaster are you referring to the foot button on the floor to the left of the clutch if so I thought that was the high beam button.

·
Administrator
42,164 Posts
Yes, that's the high beam switch. The starter switch on the original's were the same place as the WWII Jeeps, in the middle over the transmission (youtube video below)

Sounds like you have something aftermarket buy my money's still on what ever starter solenoid you have. I can relate, my 72 year old Jeep has a hole where the starter button goes and I use a keyed ignition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSll0i8npbQ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still having no luck getting it to start. I installed a new starter and solenoid and still not a peep. Starting to think the problem is the starting button itself. Would I need a 24 volt button / keyed ignition or would a 12 volt work?

·
Administrator
42,164 Posts
I'm no electrical expert but I do know that switches aren't voltage specific, meaning they are not 24-volt or 12-volt specific. Now, that being said, I would be concerned with the size of the wires, connections and internal components. You don't want anything to be too small for particular amperage.
Amps are actually more critical than volts. For example, you don't want to use a switch designed for a light to activate your starter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts