Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... Newbie here looking for advice. Just had my Father pick up a 69 CJ5 with the motor out. Got it pretty cheap. Was told the motor was getting ready for a rebuild and am unsure of the condition of the tranny. I'm actually still a couple of months from being home (deployed) but am looking to get things moving on the rebuild. My question is, is it worth it to rebuild the Dauntless V6 or should I swap in something with a little more power? If so, what should I look at transmission wise.. Trying to work with the current one (which I believe to be stock) or going a different route? Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The V-6 is a fairly stout engine for the CJ5 of your vintage, I'd keep it and the tranny. I reckon the odd-fire Buick is still reasonable cost wise to rebuild; the oil pump is in the timing cover so make sure the cavities for the pump rotors are not scored. Machine shop I used kept several in stock.

I think it's a T-98 if its a 3 speed stick. Very decent unit. Good Jeeps, but makes u appreciate the later versions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts