Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we have had the JK I have noticed on occasion when shifting from 4th to 5th it feels like the shifter goes past the "reverse block" to the far right of the gear pattern and kind of jams requiring that I pull back to neutral then to 5th. I never though much of it because it doesn't happen often. recently I regeared giving me the power to shift from 4th to 6th at times, I noticed once when doing a 4-6 shift that it definatly went into the reverse part of the shift pattern, just for shits I pulled down on the shifter a little and heard gear clash so it wasnt my imagination that it was indeed in reverse position......isn't there a block rod or something in the transmission to prevent going into that part of the pattern when moving or something? correct me if im wrong but reverse gear itself is syncro'd different so itll only grind and cant possibly go into reverse gear at 40-60mph right? makes me nervous now that I know it can go that far because my 6th gear seems to be slightly right and back in relation to 5th as it is.... I know that part is common because every other one I have driven felt like that as well but never noticed any gearbox ever that would let the shifter go that far out of position must less into reverse.....

Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
When you move the shifter too far to the right you are going to miss 6th gear and hit the grind of reverse. There is a sweet spot for 6th gear and I have found that I need to have my rpms up around 2200 to hit that sweet spot.

I don't understand the need to skip 5th gear though. When you buy a manual - you are buying a stick - you shift gears. I can't get a grasp on why people want to skip gears or start out from 2nd gear and complain when their jeep doesn't run as sweet because they didn't want to start out in 1st gear as the vehicle is designed to do.:hide:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I skip gears on occasion because although I don't drive wreck less, I do like getting up to speed, if I rev 4th gear to 50mph and the speed limit is 55, why go to 5th? also a lot of the roads right around my house are 45 speed limit and again a 4-6 is ideal as there is no point in shifting through them so quickly since I have the torque to pull the higher gear without lugging. when I turn around in my driveway I back off the driveway up a decent grade and shift into 2nd as I am facing downhill, turn out, and go about my way without chugging......if I am accelerating at a slower rate to hwy speed then I will use 5th gear before 6th..........

I don't ever forsee myself putting it into reverse I was more worried about my wife driving....when it happened today for the first time that it really went over that far, I felt it went to far as it happened...I just didn't think they were physically supposed to be able to move that far...me pulling the lever slightly toward reverse was just a test to see if it was actually in reverse or on the edge of it...

my jeep definatly runs sweet and I never mentioned the poor driving characteristics of starting out in 2nd as a complaint, I have driven stick my whole life except for on a truck once and I hated that truck because of the auto....all I am saying is I tried to push it way right when shifting to see if it would and it did seemingly too easy, to get most vehicles to that point would require at least some extra force.....

What about when you slow down to stop? do you go through every gear as you slow down or do you skip gears a gear based on rate of decal and speed? or a 5-3/4-2 shift on a tighter corner? skipping gears on a manual is half the fun of driving it imo

·
Registered
167 Posts
Happened to me when I first got the jeep, had some issues trying to find 6th, kept entering the reverse gate, and twice tried to engage 6th (loud painful noise). Since then I have had no issues. I have found that when you are in 5th, placing light pressure right and pulling straight back will effortlessly have it slide down into 6th. If you apply firm pressure you risk it finding the reverse gate, just use a light pressure so you can feel it press the side of the 5th gear gate and then pull back smoothly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as im not the only who it happened to, if its normal its normal, no big deal. I just thought reverse would be protected a little better, I have no problem finding 6th for the most part, more worried about my wife driving it, guess maybe ill just take her keys

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 09 has a noticeably stiffer spring that has to be "defeated" in order to hit reverse. At first, I was concerned about hitting reverse instead of 6th, but got over it rather quickly.

That said, I don't think I've ever skipped 5th, but I could see where this would be more of a concern when doing so. But, from 5th, I apply just enough pressure to go straight down into 6th.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are a lot of recent cars that had a "skip shift" feature, which actually forced you to skip gears during light acceleration by locking some of the gates. It was some bs epa thing so they could claim a higher MPG. Fortunately in most cases it was easy to defeat and disconnect the system. 2011/2012 Mustangs and I believe some Vette's had this crap on it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I shifted perfect the first few weeks I had mine. Then I started getting cocky and things fell apart. One particular day I could not hit 6th to save my life.

It annoys me that they installed my shift knob with the shift pattern canted, but that's apparently quite intentional, because 6th is clearly diagonal from 5th and not straight down. lol

I really don't understand why reverse has no protection. My manual cars could not be put into reverse going over 5mph without considerable effort. Maybe because they were 5spds and 5th to Rev was a real threat, but now they figure with 6spds, reverse is safe off to the side all by itself.

I would have liked the German technique of pushing down on the knob in order to enter the reverse gate.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I skip gears on occasion because although I don't drive wreck less, I do like getting up to speed, if I rev 4th gear to 50mph and the speed limit is 55, why go to 5th? also a lot of the roads right around my house are 45 speed limit and again a 4-6 is ideal as there is no point in shifting through them so quickly since I have the torque to pull the higher gear without lugging. when I turn around in my driveway I back off the driveway up a decent grade and shift into 2nd as I am facing downhill, turn out, and go about my way without chugging......if I am accelerating at a slower rate to hwy speed then I will use 5th gear before 6th..........

I don't ever forsee myself putting it into reverse I was more worried about my wife driving....when it happened today for the first time that it really went over that far, I felt it went to far as it happened...I just didn't think they were physically supposed to be able to move that far...me pulling the lever slightly toward reverse was just a test to see if it was actually in reverse or on the edge of it...

my jeep definatly runs sweet and I never mentioned the poor driving characteristics of starting out in 2nd as a complaint, I have driven stick my whole life except for on a truck once and I hated that truck because of the auto....all I am saying is I tried to push it way right when shifting to see if it would and it did seemingly too easy, to get most vehicles to that point would require at least some extra force.....

What about when you slow down to stop? do you go through every gear as you slow down or do you skip gears a gear based on rate of decal and speed? or a 5-3/4-2 shift on a tighter corner? skipping gears on a manual is half the fun of driving it imo
I had a feeling that my response would ruffle some feathers and that was not my intention.

I had a hard time with 6th gear at first because there is definately a sweet spot and I hated that awful grinding noise I would get because I would move the shifter too far to the right. It took some time to get used to it for the first 1,000 miles. However, I think the most you will ever get is the grinding noise. I don't think it will actually go into reverse gear but then that would be hard for me to explain as I am not an "engineer".

I wasn't aiming that 2nd gear start comment at you - this is just something that I have read a number of times and I could never get a grasp on why people would complain since after all they "chose" to drive a manual.

Like you I have driven nothing but manuals since I was 18 years old (now 54). My JK was not the color choice for me personally but at the time it was the ONLY manual JK in a 400 mile radius that didn't have all of the bells and whistles. Plenty of automatics on the lots but no manuals unless they were totally decked out. The only "add" on my JK is the A/C. My criteria was a JK manual with A/C and NOTHING ELSE.

As far as downshifting - if I have enough time then I will downshift through the gears stopping in 2nd gear - putting it in neutral and then in 1st gear to take off. I double clutch downshift most of the time. Rarely will I ever skip gears - never on acceleration but sometimes on downshifting.

I guess what I was wondering is why people want to skip gears - is it they are too lazy to go through the gears, is it because they think they are saving wear and tear on the clutch or is it just a personal preference. I don't know if you can save significant amount of wear and tear on the clutch by skipping gears - I would love to know the answer to that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I shifted perfect the first few weeks I had mine. Then I started getting cocky and things fell apart. One particular day I could not hit 6th to save my life.

It annoys me that they installed my shift knob with the shift pattern canted, but that's apparently quite intentional, because 6th is clearly diagonal from 5th and not straight down. lol

I really don't understand why reverse has no protection. My manual cars could not be put into reverse going over 5mph without considerable effort. Maybe because they were 5spds and 5th to Rev was a real threat, but now they figure with 6spds, reverse is safe off to the side all by itself.

I would have liked the German technique of pushing down on the knob in order to enter the reverse gate.

I agree the shift knob pattern is deceiving which is why it took me some time to figure out that I had to slightly move the shifter to the right to hit 6th gear instead of straight down from 5th gear.

If I remember correctly (and it has been 15 years) is that reverse on my Capri was one where you pushed the knob down and then up to the far left. Sure made things easier.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I like the Vauxhall/Opel shifters. You either pull up on a ring or pull a trigger on the shifter to unlock reverse.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think the problem is that when coming out of 5th you have to overcome a pretty strong spring.. pretty sure 6th is straight back from 5th just feels weird because of the strong spring.

I've come to realize that for me it's easier to hit 6th if I go into 5th first, even if I don't let out the clutch. So a shift from 4th to 6th for me goes through 5th anyway.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What about trying to put it in reverse from a stop. It always grinds and I have to move forward slightly to get it to catch. Is there a fix to this

·
Registered
830 Posts
What about trying to put it in reverse from a stop. It always grinds and I have to move forward slightly to get it to catch. Is there a fix to this
That sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. I've never had a problem getting into reverse. Try putting it in 1st gear, hold the clutch pedal to the floor for a minute.. if the clutch starts to grab there's something wrong in the clutch system.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
should be synchronized, but wait a couple seconds after you depress the clutch for the input shaft to spin down.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have found most stick shifts, on occasion, when going into reverse from a stop will not want to go in without either rolling a little or what I have found to be my preffered way is to keep slight pressure on the shift lever into reverse without forcing it and at the same time slowly let out the clutch and it will usually fall in without grinding....I am not an engineer either but I do know a couple things about cars and I believe why that works is that when pushing in the clutch the main shaft of the transmission disconnects from the engine and slows down and allows the syncros to quickly align and enguage...if the syncros don't enguage and it grinds a lot or every time when going into reverse or any other gear then the syncros in the transmission for that gear are likely broke or bent and would require transmission tear down to fix. my JK has only rarely ground into reverse and always at my own fault or delayed foot reaction time or something

I also don't believe it would be possible to actually go into reverse at such a high speed that I was going to go into 6th at...maybe if I was attempting a 2-6 shift it would go in...lol now im joking, id never skip that many gears haha, I just thought all newer vehicles had more resistance to prevent that from happening...

@jancie we drove about 200 miles to find one the way we wanted too, 6spd, no tpms system, soft top, base radio, crank windows...I did add a stock foglight/tow hook bumper and cruise control but I drew the line there....I guess I haven't seen any of the starting in 2nd threads and did think that was directed at me, no hard feelings my bad....for me its just a driving style preference I guess, i probably dont even do it enough to save on clutch wear and I wouldnt recommend it to a beginner stick driver by any means. lastly the primary reason I personally skip gears is, although I am not an overly aggressive driver but I do like to spin the engine up between gears at least enough to keep the carbon off the valves, I usually shift when accelerating "fast" at 3500-4000 rpm, at that rpm in 4th gear is nearing 45-50, most speed limits in my area are 45-55 and 5th gear isn't really needed with 4.10 gears at that speed because 6th gear pulls it fine from their unless on a hill or something, of course. I guess what it boils down to is personal preference more than anything....I wouldn't call it laziness, more like efficient

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used to grind into R alot in my '07 JKUR and almost went with an auto for that reason on my '14. After driving a '14 6spd it seemed much smoother and shifted nicely. I'm glad I went with the manual now and no issues with grinding R. Not sure if the tranny changed or why my '07 hit R once in a while...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree the shift knob pattern is deceiving which is why it took me some time to figure out that I had to slightly move the shifter to the right to hit 6th gear instead of straight down from 5th gear.
That's what I have noticed too. There is a slight move to the right.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
@jancie we drove about 200 miles to find one the way we wanted too, 6spd, no tpms system, soft top, base radio, crank windows...I did add a stock foglight/tow hook bumper and cruise control but I drew the line there....I guess I haven't seen any of the starting in 2nd threads and did think that was directed at me, no hard feelings my bad....for me its just a driving style preference I guess, i probably dont even do it enough to save on clutch wear and I wouldnt recommend it to a beginner stick driver by any means. lastly the primary reason I personally skip gears is, although I am not an overly aggressive driver but I do like to spin the engine up between gears at least enough to keep the carbon off the valves, I usually shift when accelerating "fast" at 3500-4000 rpm, at that rpm in 4th gear is nearing 45-50, most speed limits in my area are 45-55 and 5th gear isn't really needed with 4.10 gears at that speed because 6th gear pulls it fine from their unless on a hill or something, of course. I guess what it boils down to is personal preference more than anything....I wouldn't call it laziness, more like efficient
Sounds like the way I drive :) I don't pussy foot around and I agree you have to get those rpms up to keep it running smoothly. I typically run mine at 2,000 rpms in whatever gear depending on what the speed limit is but will shift at 3500 rpms. Got the power then use it! And somehow I still get an average of 22 mpg not that it is important to me otherwise I would be driving a prius.

Now the fun vehicle for me was my 1983 Mercury Capri with a 5.0 Liter HO engine which didn't stay stock for long. That was a little go getter and fun to race other people off the lights.

Unfortunately I don't have 4.10 gears - just the standard ones (3.21) but I do have crank windows. I had to teach a kid the other day how to roll down the window - geez.....the kid had never been in a vehicle with crank windows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (2-door) this past weekend. I was all psyched and driving along the interstate on Monday when I tried to shift into 6th gear - CRUNCH! Yikes! I got so flustered that I ground a couple more times that day.

After reading this forum, I found several suggestions that indicated putting light pressure on the gear shift in the 5th position (pressing to the right) as you shift down into 6th. I must say that today it worked like a charm! Let's hope I can keep this up and avoid any future grinding!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts