Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

17mm. No problem. I would love to meet the FCA engineers that thought putting the exhaust cross pipe under the drain plug was a terrific idea. I have drained it three times since I bought it new. Use AMSOIL Synchromesh in it. I purchased a ball end long 1/2" drive socket bit but the angle does not work when the plug is tight. I have done the exhaust clamp removal with a ratchet strap to the front axle each time. Has anyone figured out a better way or a worthwhile tool modification to make? I am coming due for my fourth change and would prefer to not keep torquing the exhaust system. If it was not already so restrictive I thought about collapsing part of the side under the drain plug to allow straight access but the damn thing does not breath well as it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put the socket with the hex head upside down in a vice and gently drove the hex part out with a hammer and punch. It was easier than I thought. Then I slid the hex into the plug and used a boxed end wrench to spin the plug out. It basically shortened the socket and put the leverage at 90 degrees. No strap or shifting of other parts were needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a bench grinder to shorten the hex bit for my ratchet, took awhile (and that sucker gets hot while grinding!) but it worked pretty well to shorten it enough to get the plug in and out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The nice part about driving the hex out was that I could drive it back in and still have a useable socket. Those large sets are not cheap. Plus I didn't have a grinder or other way to cut the part I needed. But of course things like this are always good reasons to go buy some new tools.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Like @Grand Umpah I just cut a piece off the end of a 17 mm allen wrench with a hacksaw, and used that with an open end/box end combo wrench. I will tell a story on myself. The first time, I cut the piece too long, and had to shorten it. So, I actually had to cut it twice. I did go through a couple of hacksaw blades during the process.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I took a bolt with a 17mm head on it, threaded a nut or two on, tightened it up good and cut off what was sticking out. works well with a wrench, pretty much the same thing everyonee else is doing

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I took a bolt with a 17mm head on it, threaded a nut or two on, tightened it up good and cut off what was sticking out. works well with a wrench, pretty much the same thing everyonee else is doing
This what I did as well....$2.58 at the local Home Depot and worked like a charm.

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
215 Posts

To clarify, you put the head of the bolt into the drain plug, then use an open spanner on the two bolts to tighten/loosen - they work against each other to stay in place. If you get a short M10 you also don't need to cut off the end, save yourself some heartache if you don't have a tool shop.

·
Registered
898 Posts
In one of the other threads on this I posted a pic of the Snap-On wrench I have for the drain plug. Works perfectly. Second on the foil recommendation.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In one of the other threads on this I posted a pic of the Snap-On wrench I have for the drain plug. Works perfectly. Second on the foil recommendation.
Have a model number by chance?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great idea!

·
Registered
898 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts