Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

6th gear synchronizer question

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  txron 
#1 ·
Is it just my 2011 unlimited or is it a factory design. My question is if I'm stopped I can shift though all gears without a problem and 6 in straight down. When I'm on the hwy going into 6th it's not straight down, i need to move the stick over about 1/8in. And what engineer bright idea was it to put reverse next to 6th?

#2 ·
6th should not be straight down even when stopped, and with the 6 speed tranny reverse has to be next to something. Although they could have done it like the old VW's where you have to push down on the stick to get it into reverse There is quite a lot of pressure required to get the stick all the way over to reverse though, my wife sometimes has trouble with that.

#3 ·
To shift into REVERSE, bring the vehicle to a complete
stop. Press the clutch and pause briefly to allow the gear
train to stop rotating. Beginning from the NEUTRAL
position, move the shift lever in one quick, smooth
motion straight across and into the REVERSE area (the
driver will feel a firm “click” as the shifter passes the
“knock-over”). Complete the shift by pulling the shift
lever into REVERSE.
The “knock-over” prevents the driver from accidentally
entering the REVERSE shift area and warns the driver
that they are about to shift the transmission into REVERSE.
Due to this feature, a slow shift to REVERSE can​
be perceived as a high shift effort.

#4 ·
There should be some kind of safety there even if your not aware of it. My 98 TJ 5 speed has a built in reverse block I guess? If you are in 5th you can not put it into reverse until you return it to the central nuetral position.

I would assume your six speed has something similar.

If you think reverse next to 6th is bad, I've driven cars where reverse was behind second...
1 3 5
2 4
R

and reverse next to first is much worse. If your not paying attention you back up into the car behind you
R 1 3 5
2 4

Or some truck 5 speeds have reverse where 1st usually is

R 2 4
1 3 5

#6 ·
Mine feels to be straight down, may be the spring wanting to bring you back center(neutral) if you come out of 5th easy it will want to go to 4th, so the feel that you have to move over a bit may be that extra bit you have to push to the right, did take a few shifts to get use to where 6th is but once you get the feel for it no issue,,
my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.