Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I searched for this!

I have the Teraflext Ant Mount behind my Right Turn signal on my TJ. I sanded the holes so there is no paint.

I ran a test wire from my Neg Battery Terminal to check for ground.

I am getting 7 Ohms. (I am used to working with Kilo and Mega Ohms)

I 7 Ohms too much from this mount? Do I need to run an additional ground wire?

Thanks for your time.

-johnnie

ps - My SWR readings were below 1 on Chnl 20? Makes me wonder if the SWR meter went south?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Batjeep! There is no rush so I will keep trying to get that resistance down.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Verify good common ground to battery, then mount to frame. See which half its in.

7 seems a tad high to me too. Good multi meter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verify good common ground to battery, then mount to frame. See which half its in.

7 seems a tad high to me too. Good multi meter?
It is a "higher end" digital multimeter. But it is 7-9 years old.

I did notice one of the braided grounding straps near the fuel tank was broken. Need to fix that!

I will be under the Jeep again tonight.

I will keep y'all posted.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Question. Why did you connect the wire to the battery? That may be a source of impedance added to the circuit when you were testing from the antenna to ground. Just wondering.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was trying to find a know good ground. I did not have anyone there to hold the MM to the frame while I wes testing the inside of the hole where the ant mounts.

Should I test from the Mount to the frame?

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Like americonium said, test the mount (or better yet shielding collar) to frame, then test neg batt terminal to frame. The sum should be 7 ohms, and you should be able to tell if it is the mount or battery that has the resistance going to the frame. Then we can fix that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well fella's - I hooked up my new CB, Ran the Coax and tested for SWR.

Readings right around 1.0 on my middle channels. Below 1.5 on low and high channels!

One thing I forgot to do was check resistance again :facepalm:

I think Americonium may have been on to something regaring my "test ground to battery."

Just wanted to update and say thanks again folks!

I got my ears on now!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
koopzz said:
Well fella's - I hooked up my new CB, Ran the Coax and tested for SWR.

Readings right around 1.0 on my middle channels. Below 1.5 on low and high channels!

One thing I forgot to do was check resistance again :facepalm:

I think Americonium may have been on to something regaring my "test ground to battery."

Just wanted to update and say thanks again folks!

I got my ears on now!
Sounds great! Typically when your standing waves are performing that well there is no bottleneck, or resistance spot, in the ground circuit - it is behaving as a "solid piece" to conduct the radiation. Never hurts to check, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts