Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring the trailer brake controller on a 2014 wrangler, all wiring is done except where I need to tap into the switch side of the brake pedal/stop light switch.
I ahve taken the door off and pushed the seat all the way back but just can not fit up in there too well.

Does anyone have a better location of where to tap into this wire?

Does anyone know what color the wire is for sure?

Or would you be able to direct me to a wiring schematic of the stop lights, I googled it but came up with no love.

My back thanks you in advance.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I need to connect from the brake controller to the "cold side" of the brake light switch.
I have the mopar harness and already installed that to the locations required, this wire is from the brake controller wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone who is doing this it turned out to be the white with red tracer wire for the load side of the stop light switch.
You have to be a contortionist in order to get at it but it's done and I'm glad for that as is my fifty year old body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to embark on the same journey - mopar 7 way harness and brake controller. How did you get power and ground to the controller - through the firewall on somewhere inside?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Direct from battery(with a fuse holder) through the firewall, there is a perfect spot right at the brake booster up in the corner.

To get to the stop light wire I first took of the plastic center cover under the steering wheel(pull out from the top gently then it swings down on a plastic hinge and out). Then there is a small plate behind that attached with two 10mm bolts, removing that gives you a small window to access the brake switch.
I unbolted the brake switch assembly(two 8mm bolts) and after cutting one tie wrap was able to barely get the brake switch out of that small window to work on it.
Good luck, hope your more limber than I.

Because I did not want to hit it with my leg all the time I bought one of those CB mounts that go up by the center footman loop and mounted the controller to that.
Rugged Ridge 11503.95 - Rugged Ridge CB Radio Mount for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

BATTERY DISCONNECTED WHILE YOU DO THIS

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mopar also has a harness that is used to unplug the brake harness, plug new harness into brake and the plug old harness into the new harness.

New harness plugs into mopar brake controller or has leads to connect to other brand controller. Kind of nice to have good connections for your brakes and a lot easier to hook up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mopar also has a harness that is used to unplug the brake harness, plug new harness into brake and the plug old harness into the new harness.

New harness plugs into mopar brake controller or has leads to connect to other brand controller. Kind of nice to have good connections for your brakes and a lot easier to hook up.
Are you talking about the 7pin mopar harness or another harness specifically for inside the cab that plugs into your brake pedal harness and up to your brake controller.

I have and installed the 7pin harness that you basically plug into your brake light harness on the tail light then run it up to the battery and into the cab with one remaing wire for the load side of the brake controler.
With that harness you still need power to the controller and a signal wire from the stop switch to the controller, this was what I was trying to get done.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, That would have saved a lot of back ache, do you happen to have a link for the harness. I Googled it but came up empty, probably would help others that come across this thread.

As it is I soldered my connection at the brake switch so I'm happy with the end result, but I do like the plug and play harness when available.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes I have the part # written down some where I'll try an find it. MoPar seems to have wire harness for just about anything you could think of. Hard part is finding the part# which I do only after the project is done in most cases.

I'm like you I like to solder all my wire connections.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any luck on finding the part # for the wiring harness for the brake controller to brake switch plug thingy? I've been searching the internet and can't find any.

I've found the Mopar 7-pin harness (Part # 82210214ab) and ordered that up, but I'm trying to figure out which brake controller to get and if there is a harness for inside the cab portion.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts

Bump for any info on this. I have the 7 pin Mopar harness, I would like to grab this harness as well, then proceed to pick a controller. The off-road camping trailer we are looking at purchasing, comes with brakes. Would like to find the best combination of products to utilize its braking ability, especially for downhill treks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tekonsha P3

Go to etrailer.com

I just installed their universal brake controller kit (4pin/7pin setup) in both my wrangler and the wife's cherokee KL.

Wife's was more difficult since she didn't even have regular factory tow. Had to install hitch, install basic 4pin harness and then run the brake controller harness. Took all day, mine took only 90 minutes.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Anyone know what a Mopar 7 pin costs and how much time it takes to install at the dealer? I had a 4 pin installed on my SUV and it took the dealer an hour.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone know what a Mopar 7 pin costs and how much time it takes to install at the dealer? I had a 4 pin installed on my SUV and it took the dealer an hour.
Can't say about a dealer doing it, but it took my brother maybe a half an hour to crawl under my 2012 JKUR to run the wires from front to back. Used Mopar wire purchased from Qtech. Hardest part was getting under the dash to hook into the brake wire.

Good luck

Brandi

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I remember crawling up under the dash of my new 1990 Dodge W250 PU to wire the brake to the controller and it was no fun. In fact, when it came time to sell it, I let the controller go with the truck. My new 1998 Dodge 2500 had a socket under the dash and a pig tail assembly to a matching plug. Attach the pig tail to the new controller (on the workbench) then plug it in and done. Now they come with controller built in.

But of trusty Jeeps don't have that. I think they are sending a message they don't want you hauling heavy trailers with the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Can't say about a dealer doing it, but it took my brother maybe a half an hour to crawl under my 2012 JKUR to run the wires from front to back. Used Mopar wire purchased from Qtech. Hardest part was getting under the dash to hook into the brake wire.

Good luck

Brandi
I remember crawling up under the dash of my new 1990 Dodge W250 PU to wire the brake to the controller and it was no fun. In fact, when it came time to sell it, I let the controller go with the truck. My new 1998 Dodge 2500 had a socket under the dash and a pig tail assembly to a matching plug. Attach the pig tail to the new controller (on the workbench) then plug it in and done. Now they come with controller built in.

But of trusty Jeeps don't have that. I think they are sending a message they don't want you hauling heavy trailers with the Jeep.
This is exactly why I was asking the person I quoted. After putting in the 7 pin Mopar harness, which was easy as pie to do, the brake pedal is a nightmare to get too. I would rather back away from it for a bit, and try to find this harness I have seen a few people speak of that makes the brake connection plug and play. So far, I have been unable to track one down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts