Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wheels I want have a hub of 71.6mm, and the jeeps bore is 71.5mm meaning that the wheel is .1mm larger... now I’m about 99% sure they don’t make .1mm hub rings..

So, since I won’t have hub rings, would these be bad to use? I know it’s only .1mm but if I’m going 30 that .1mm might cause the tiniest vibration and grow larger as I get faster

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
most of the aftermarket wheels are not hub centric so you will be fine.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Which is why hub rings exist
Don't be afraid of quality aftermarket wheels that are lug centric and not hubcentric. If you take your Jeep to just any large chain shops I would be a little nervous about one of their "techs" rotating my tires, etc. You can always do rotations yourself and that way you know they are installed correctly. You should always check the lugs after 3-500 miles after installation anyway, as aluminum alloy wheels are notorious for the lugs loosening up a bit after they've been removed and replaced. I've been running lug centric wheels on my Jeep for 15k now without issue.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
They exist so that tire stores can upsell you on additional profit makers. :)

In extreme cases, if there is a large mismatch and you do competitive offroading or track racing, yeah probably worth it but for a mostly street driven vehicle, there are more important things to worry about. :drinks:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Don't worry about it. Chances are neither the wheel maker, nor whoever is cranking out unit bearings for Fiat these days have 0.1mm tolerance anyway. Conical lug nuts will center the wheel against whatever forces you're putting on them, unless you're rocking 54" boggers and spend time in the air.

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
For the record even AEV is now saying hub centric is over rated and lug centric is fine. AEV used to say hub centric was very important and the only way to go but now they have changed their stance once they discovered their wheel supplier changed hub bore sizes along the way. I have run 4 sets of AEV rims without any issues some were hub centric and some not. I also ran a couple of sets of raceline wheels and used these guys to custom make a set for me but they are not cheap. Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So the wheels I want have a hub of 71.6mm, and the jeeps bore is 71.5mm meaning that the wheel is .1mm larger... now I’m about 99% sure they don’t make .1mm hub rings..

So, since I won’t have hub rings, would these be bad to use? I know it’s only .1mm but if I’m going 30 that .1mm might cause the tiniest vibration and grow larger as I get faster

Thoughts?
Its probably made to compensate hub rust, 0.05 mm gap is negligible and probably within industry standards.
0.05 mm is aprx the thickness of one layer of paint.
You can paint the hub to offset the gap but I doubt it would be needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
A very high percentage of lug centric applications work perfectly... When I put on my Pro Comp wheels about 4 years ago, I was chasing a mild vibration and after multiple balances and rotations, I decided to try some hub rings... BINGO, vibration gone.

So I'm particular about having hub-centric setups now...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hub center ring not only centers the rim but also supports most of the load.
Using a rim with a larger central bore will translate all the load on the bolts/studs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts