Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have full synth in the jeep and tend to push the oil changes while still keeping under the max 8K per the manual. But I would have thought that the light would have come on by now.

Pretty much a daily driver with 40-50 miles a day and sometime 100+ on weekends tooling around. Not worried about it since I am taking it in next week but curious.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Congrats on making it that far w/o the light/chime. I've read a few other threads where others report the same thing. Not sure if it's just your driving conditions or something wrong. I'd say take it to the dealership if it's not on by 15,000 miles....assuming it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anybody know if the vehicle computer record the mileage(s) when the light was activated/deactivated?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, but there is no way I would rely on letting my vehicles pcm/ecu or whatever you want to call it, take a signal from a sensor telling me when I should change my oil.
Not disrespecting your decision to do so, I am just saying.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sorry, but there is no way I would rely on letting my vehicles pcm/ecu or whatever you want to call it, take a signal from a sensor telling me when I should change my oil.
There's not a sensor per say that determines when an oil change is needed. The computer enters a variety of information into an algorithm which determines when the oil is likely to need to be changed. Such variables include mileage, oil temp, time driven at different RPMs, etc.
Your light might come on while you still have oil in excellent condition or it might come on when it truly needs to be changed. With the detergents and additives like moly in most modern oils, Chrysler has determined you're safe to use the oil change light as a guide to changing oil as long as you never exceed 8000 miles as an oil change interval.
I'd say that, short of a used oil analysis, using the oil change indicator light is probably the most accurate way to determine when the oil should be changed. I'd wager it's a heck of a lot more accurate than going with gut instinct or changing on a fixed mileage interval such as every 3,000 miles. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I'd wager I'm not.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not waiting for the light. I run it up to 7.5K or so before changing it. Last two periods, I rode around with it on (yes, I know I can manually reset it) and that was WAY before where I am now. Just thought it was curious that it hadn't lit up yet. Not discounting your advice, just saying.:whistling:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where are folks getting 8K from? My manual says 10K! I would think the algorithm would have an if..then to turn on the light if it reached 10K without the other conditions for a change being met. Anyway mine is going to stay in until the computer tells me to change it (or 10K mile intervals).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where are folks getting 8K from? My manual says 10K! I would think the algorithm would have an if..then to turn on the light if it reached 10K without the other conditions for a change being met. Anyway mine is going to stay in until the computer tells me to change it (or 10K mile intervals).
The 2012s called for 5w30 every 8K/6mos. For some reason or another they changed their minds in 2013 to recommend 5w20 every 10k/12mos. even though nothing changed mechanically. There's a few threads on here debating all of that as well if you want some more frustrating reading.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I change mine every 3000 even with synthetic, mostly because the dealership is paying for the first year. :)

Then I will go to 7500

·
Registered
492 Posts
Agree. blew my engine block The first month. Is this something new on the newer jeeps? I have an 07 Saharah Unlimited, and never read or noticed a need oil light?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine came on around 9600 miles. I had already changed the oil 3 times when it decided to come on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's funny. Get in after work, start her up and BING! Oil Change Required. :rofl: 7643 miles.

Sorry not a light but an EVIC message.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the lifetime warranty and those dealership bastards won't pay for it until I hit the manufacturer 10k m. I did it at 5k and will let them do it on their dime at 10k.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the lifetime warranty and those dealership bastards won't pay for it until I hit the manufacturer 10k m. I did it at 5k and will let them do it on their dime at 10k.
Does the lifetime warranty come with free oil changes? If so, my dealership didn't tell me that one.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Mine came on for the first time at 9800. I changed it and the oil was dirty, but not anymore so than the 3 k interval on my old 4L, the ~5500 miles that the light came on for my 08, or the 7500 mile interval my wife's Subaru uses, so I will continue to follow it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts