Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which trim packages are equal (or better) than Rubicon for features/performance?

• 70th Anniversary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75th Anniversary

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Altitude

• Backcountry

• Big Bear

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Black Bear

• Chief Edition

• Dragon Edition

• Freedom

• Moab

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Polar Edition

• Rubicon Hard Rock

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • Rubicon Recon

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Rubicon X

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Sahara

• Smoky Mountain

• Sport RHD

• Willys

• Winter

• Wrangler X

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a used Jeep Wrangler, probably a 2014-2017. The last time I posted to the forum, I did a poll and it seemed that everyone pointed me toward the Rubicon as the Wrangler model with the most features included. As I've shopped online, I've noticed that the 75th Anniversary edition seems to have many of the features I'm looking for (navigation, heated leather seats, reasonably aggressive look, etc.).

Can anyone comment on how it compares to the Rubicon and/or what makes it better/worse/different?

Also, it appears that the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon are the consistent trim levels over the years, but I also come across many others - Black Bear, Smoky Mountains, Altitude, Arctic, Golden Dragon, Rubicon Hard Rock, Rubicon Recon, etc. I remember years ago seeing a beach oriented model (I forget the exact package) but the salesman admitted it was just an end of the year run of the Sport package with some oversized tires and extra graphics.

Can anyone suggest "special models" to look for and/or avoid?

Thanks for your help, advice, and knowledge as I continue my quest to become a Wrangler owner again!

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
I'm in the market for a used Jeep Wrangler, probably a 2014-2017. The last time I posted to the forum, I did a poll and it seemed that everyone pointed me toward the Rubicon as the Wrangler model with the most features included. As I've shopped online, I've noticed that the 75th Anniversary edition seems to have many of the features I'm looking for (navigation, heated leather seats, reasonably aggressive look, etc.).

Can anyone comment on how it compares to the Rubicon and/or what makes it better/worse/different?

Also, it appears that the Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon are the consistent trim levels over the years, but I also come across many others - Black Bear, Smoky Mountains, Altitude, Arctic, Golden Dragon, Rubicon Hard Rock, Rubicon Recon, etc. I remember years ago seeing a beach oriented model (I forget the exact package) but the salesman admitted it was just an end of the year run of the Sport package with some oversized tires and extra graphics.

Thanks for your help, advice, and knowledge as I continue my quest to become a Wrangler owner again!

You’re not going to get good results on a poll with 20 different options. You’ll get better results listed what you want and how much your willing to pay. If heated leather seats and nav is all you want just buy the one you like best.

These features are not standard in Rubicon as your post implies.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It would be easier to guide you if you describe how you’ll be using the Jeep. Offroad or street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
286 Posts

You're comparing apples and oranges here. According to car and driver magazine the 75th is a an upgraded sport. Not a bad vehicle. On the other hand the rubicon has several features meant to enhance it's off road ability.

Just as the purpose-driven details of the Jeep’s hardware restored our faith in the Wrangler’s mission, we scanned down to find the Jeep 75th Anniversary package. While it does include a few items that at least allude to genuine off-road activity (reinforced Rock Rails side steps, 17-inch wheels with 245/75 tires, and a Trac-Lok locking rear differential), it’s primarily a $4680 cosmetic and convenience tour de force.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not a hardcore off roader so my 75th Anniversary suits me just fine as a daily driver.. Like others have mentioned... a lot depends on your intentions.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Do you understand the differences between the sport and Rubicon platforms?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Rubicons of those model years can be surprisingly stripped, offering only the standard hardcore off-roading mechanical and electrical features that the Rubicon model was designed to provide. I have rented a 2-door 2016 Rubicon in Moab from Twisted Jeeps that (like my own Willys Wheeler Edition) had manual roll up windows, manual door locks, manual mirrors, the base 130 radio, and lacked the fancy information and connectivity package that displays on the instrument panel of most Jeeps.

Of course, Rubicons can also be ordered with every luxury, convenience and infotainment option in the Wrangler catalog, as far as I’m aware.

So you need to first understand that “Rubicon” only means “has $5000 worth of extra hard-core off-roading equipment that is actually very useful for people who offroad in challenging situations, but brings absolutely zero utility to people who don’t.” Beyond that, it is a matter of what options have been ordered on any model.

Sahara is the basic luxury-leaning model of Wrangler; some Special Editions (such as many in your list above) are Sahara-based, and include some of the more popular Sahara comfort/connectivity features along with graphics and appearance packages bundled into an attractive price point when new (but that pricing advantage usually disappears when used.)

Since 2014, the JK continuous basic models have been: Sport, Willys Wheeler, Sahara, and Rubicon. All else is pretty much a plumped up version of one of those 4.

Sport is the basic model. Willys Wheeler is a Sport with some extra Rubicon features (but not the most important and expensive ones) thrown in, including wheels and tires (so it looks just like a Rubicon to the outside world. Sahara takes Wrangler in the “loaded” direction, and Rubicon takes it in the “Hardcore” direction.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I went with the 10A . I like the 13 year due to fixed issues from the 12 cheaper Ins./taxes. Looked at 15 HR and 17 Chief and other standard Shahara/Rubicons. Othe than the radio there was no reason to pay more and get the same or less. Wanted all leather not half leather like the 75th other other models. Wouldn't change anything and would buy another 10A. I had to have side airbags and Auto and all one color then the rest fell in line. Sticker was 47k new back in 13.
I loved reading and researching. It was a great way to start to get to know all the difference between models. Took me 18 months to get the "one".
Eads

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
The 10A, Rubicon X, and Hard Rock are pretty much the same package. I am not sure that separating those votes, is really the right thing to do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have Off-roading in your future the Recon features a couple of axle upgrades that you might otherwise have to pay a few bucks to have done. It’s J8 axles have beefier Cs and thicker axle tubes. It also came with stronger diff covers ( a frequent upgrade made by those who take their JKs on the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks SecondTJ, I know not all features are included in a given trim model, however based on my internet shopping, it seems that those who spend the extra money for the higher trim packages seem to add a lot more of the creature comforts. I have not found many Sports with leather seats, although I'm sure there are a few out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're comparing apples and oranges here. According to car and driver magazine the 75th is a an upgraded sport. Not a bad vehicle. On the other hand the rubicon has several features meant to enhance it's off road ability.

Thanks Dutch! That was the kind of nugget of info I was hoping for! I appreciate you sharing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you understand the differences between the sport and Rubicon platforms?

Not completely Indy.

I always thought that a Sport is the lowest trim/feature model, that the Sahara has more creature comforts and the Rubicon has more off-road capability. However, in my internet shopping experience (looking at used 2013-2017ish Wranglers), it seems that Rubicons (at least the ones for sale) are usually pretty loaded. I suspect if you can afford to buy new, and you can afford to spend $5000 extra for off-roading features, you probably just go "all in" and buy one that is loaded.

I'd rather "have and not need", than "need and not have", so I'm inclined to shop for a used Rubicon. It may also just be my eye, but the Rubicons seem to have a more aggressive appearance in general. That is probably subjective, but I just like they way they look.

My rather complicated poll was an attempt to find out if any of the other less common special trim/feature packages were actually based on a Rubicon but perhaps with added features.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since 2014, the JK continuous basic models have been: Sport, Willys Wheeler, Sahara, and Rubicon. All else is pretty much a plumped up version of one of those 4.

Sport is the basic model. Willys Wheeler is a Sport with some extra Rubicon features (but not the most important and expensive ones) thrown in, including wheels and tires (so it looks just like a Rubicon to the outside world. Sahara takes Wrangler in the “loaded” direction, and Rubicon takes it in the “Hardcore” direction.

Thanks NoGaBiker! This is the exact kind of info I was hoping for from some experienced Jeep enthusiasts! I appreciate all the info you shared. It is extremely helpful!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 10A, Rubicon X, and Hard Rock are pretty much the same package. I am not sure that separating those votes, is really the right thing to do.

Thanks Walt.

So are they basically just different names for packages that add features to the Rubicon, but were put out in different years? I assume they add capabilities above and beyond the basic Rubicon package.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you have Off-roading in your future the Recon features a couple of axle upgrades that you might otherwise have to pay a few bucks to have done. It’s J8 axles have beefier Cs and thicker axle tubes. It also came with stronger diff covers ( a frequent upgrade made by those who take their JKs on the rocks.

Thanks TA. This is also great information!

I know my poll looked a bit crazy, but I certainly got a great discussion started and the Wrangler Forum folks are really sharing some great knowledge!

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Thanks Walt.

So are they basically just different names for packages that add features to the Rubicon, but were put out in different years? I assume they add capabilities above and beyond the basic Rubicon package.

The 10A was 2013. The Rubicon X was 2014. The Hard Rock was 2015 and on.

The differences were minor. The 10A offered the choice of red or black leather. The Rubicon X and Hard Rock was black leather only.

Over the base Rubicon, they all offered the same steel bumpers. The same hood. The same side rock protectors. Same red tow hooks (and two in the rear). Same wheels. Same dash (tach overlay, EVIC color). And so on.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just as the purpose-driven details of the Jeep’s hardware restored our faith in the Wrangler’s mission, we scanned down to find the Jeep 75th Anniversary package. While it does include a few items that at least allude to genuine off-road activity (reinforced Rock Rails side steps, 17-inch wheels with 245/75 tires, and a Trac-Lok locking rear differential), it’s primarily a $4680 cosmetic and convenience tour de force.
You also get the higher 3.73 gear ratio, steel bumpers, 110V inverter, heated leather-trimmed seats, and mine came with the entire undercarriage covered with skid plates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About that nav..

Post caught my attention. The nav option is stereo dependent with a large price spread. I was super disappointed in what Chrysler was offering. I used it once; it did the job but the interface is difficult to work with and see at a glance. From. my experience, and this being on your list of desirements, my advice is to not pay extra for it.

Heated seats strike me as an odd add to a Jeep but useful if you live in the northern 1/3 of the country. Keeps my adoring bride and children happy.

If you wanna go play, the Rubicon is a terrific and fun vehicle. If you want a commuter, the Sahara is easier on your back, butt and wallet. Then again.. depends on how old you are/are not!

Anyone else not care for the nav option? Id have rather had a back up camera.
dpape

1 - 20 of 41 Posts