Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Just picked up a 2017 JKU for my wife . 35inch tires , 20 inch wheels, re-geared with a 2.5 inch lift. I am dropping a K&N filter (drop in filter) in and was thinking of installing the BBK 78mm throttle body. I have tried to search YouTube but haven’t seen many reviews.
Anyone out there have this upgrade? Does it help with MPG and horsepower ? Any down sides. Over all what should I expect from this upgrade.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Welcome to WF

After about 6 years, I am not aware of anyone changing their throttle body.
I don’t think it will be a benefit, otherwise more people would be doing it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I use a larger throttle body(Viper) in my 2010 and noticed a small improvement. I switched back from K&N to a dry filter because of oil in the throttle body. The TB could affect your warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I recently joined a couple of Pentastar groups on FB. They are mostly Dodge and Chrysler car guys. I noticed alot of them recommend a ported throttle body. I kind of thought it was strange because we don't hear about them in the Jeep world hardly ever, but maybe there is some benefit.

Its not really related, but the most common upgrade talked about is swapping in the lower intake manifold from a newer PUG Pentastar. Apparently they have bigger and smoother ports from the factory. Its also a much cheaper upgrade than most of the throttle body options.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Pretty much nothing from the proposed upgrades. The stock intake and filter flow pretty good, more than enough for this engine. If you don't want the touch your filter for 50K miles then dropping in a K&N makes sense if live in a low dust area. But the stock filter is cheap enough that I just swap it every 5000 miles as it provides much better protection than the K&N. Don't get me wrong I am a big K&N fan it is just for this application there are more down sides than up.

Throttle body is also an area I see no improvement from a larger or ported unit helping unless potentially you are drag racing your Jeep. These types of improvement basically help at WOT not in everyday driving.

·
Registered
553 Posts
there is really no single upgrade areas that make much of a difference
but there is power to be had if you do multiple changes that compliment each other,
up to about 70HP can be found along with an equal torque boost
but its pretty much a do it all ,or don't bother type deal

the core of the change is a ported intake coupled with a ported 80mm throttle body.
this makes any exhaust and CAI changes actually worth it.
at this point the 3.6 which already flows pretty well, is maxed out
after that point you left with mechanical changes like head porting or cam profile

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
there is really no single upgrade areas that make much of a difference
but there is power to be had if you do multiple changes that compliment each other,
up to about 70HP can be found along with an equal torque boost
but its pretty much a do it all ,or don't bother type deal

the core of the change is a ported intake coupled with a ported 80mm throttle body.
this makes any exhaust and CAI changes actually worth it.
at this point the 3.6 which already flows pretty well, is maxed out
after that point you left with mechanical changes like head porting or cam profile
Sorry not in your wildest dreams. Hell you can't get that with a Corvette when only talking bolt on's and at least on a Corvette you have the option of headers. If there was this type of power available it would be all over this site and every other. Super Chargers would not even be talked about.

·
Registered
553 Posts
well there is a tune and they are running high octane...
but yea people are hitting 350WHP with a naturally aspirated pentastar 3.6
do a search , the dyno runs are online for anyone to watch.

the runs are done in challengers and 300s and dakotas but its the same motor.
just because superchargers and turbos are the big sexy right now, doesn't mean HP can't be made the old fashioned way.
with the right aftermarket bolt ones the 3.6 is capable of putting up fairly respectable numbers

the next question I guess is whether a jeep could put out 350??
well probably not .
just hooking up the jeeps drivetrain drops the jeeps output at the wheels by about 60HP from rated HP ,
an auto sucks up even more
but i'm guessing you can probably get close to 300WHP.

whoe you say ,300WHP is much different the 350WHP I stated.....
well considering the avg HP of a stock dyno'd jeep 3.6 is only around 220WHP with a manual,
in fact I've not seen a jeep 3.6 ever put out more then 225 WHP even new,
ive also seen lows as much as 185WHP on a high mileage motor with 37s and 5.13s and auto
the same motor in a stock Dakota,or 300 will dyno about 255WHP new.
you may not think there is any way to milk more out of the 3.6 , but dyno tests say otherwise

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Everybody knows when it comes to real power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
There is no replacement for displacement. Yep, I am Old school.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Total waste of hard earned cash trying to make one of these anemic sleds run better.
It just ain't gonna happen.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
Semper fi

·
Vendor
23 Posts
Adding a supercharger or doing a swap is truly the only way to add power. Our Hamburger's Supercharger kits on the JK makes 400hp and 365 tq and are 50 state legal. We have dyno tested drop in panel filters,CAI, and stock and found ZERO HP difference. It only sounded and looked better imho . Even exhaust only added 10-15 rwhp and I honestly felt it lost a little torque off the bottom end although mid to upper rpms were more "snappy" on throttle response.
Generally the little hp mods add hp somewhere but also lose power or torque somewhere else in the rpm range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts