Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I lost my clutch pedal. I had the worst 12 mile drive to my tranny guy (first time using him but it's my friends brother-in-laws shop he called ahead saying take good care of me). They just called and said parts and labor to change both master and slave cylinders on my 92 YJ is going to be $790. I was shocked. Is that insane or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not sure. Get some quotes. If they are lower go to the first shop and ask "what the hell?"
I can't remember if your year needs to pull the engine.
If so that's why its so high.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Extremely insane seeing on how ya can do both in probably 1 1/2--2 hours with basic tools and cost...well can't even do the math on the difference, buy a manual and go to town is my personal recommendation.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Shop labor, taxes, utilities, insurance, workmans comp, unemployment insurance the list goes on and on. Vegas shop labor >$100/hr. so yes I can see that price. But <$150 for parts and a tranny jack you can DIY.

Tranny jack at Harbour Freight <$80.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well a 92 has an internal slave, so the trans and tcase have to come out but still tops of 2hrs in a shop with proper tools hell I had my trans out in 45 min in my garage. The slave isn't cheap either though. But I'm still going with the other guys and say its a bit high.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have time to do it myself right now. We have rain coming and I need to drive to work from NY to Philly Wednesday morning. Yes it's an internal slave so the tranny has to be pulled. I just felt like even if it was $100/hr labor. That's 5hrs of labor +parts tax etc

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm kind of screwed since its not drivable and at the shop already. I will complain when I pick it up for sure

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a '91 and recently had to replace Slave & Master also. My mechanic who I have always gone to and treats me right was $650. Ouch, but had to be done. Make sure you use OEM parts. NOT aftermarket. You will pay for it later as why I had to replace to begin with (precious owner save $45).
Verify your parts/ labor warranty as well.
It's not a hard job, but if you don't have the know how or tools its not a good idea to tackle on your own.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Korringadinga said:
I have a '91 and recently had to replace Slave & Master also. My mechanic who I have always gone to and treats me right was $650. Ouch, but had to be done. Make sure you use OEM parts. NOT aftermarket. You will pay for it later as why I had to replace to begin with (precious owner save $45).
Verify your parts/ labor warranty as well.
It's not a hard job, but if you don't have the know how or tools its not a good idea to tackle on your own.
Best of luck.
Thanks that's good advice. I didn't want to try my skills out on this. There is a warrantee if I use the parts he buys which are Luke. I think labor is alot cheaper outside of long island. I'm hoping if I go in there with cash they will hook me up

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beach Bum, no prob. Glad I could help! Most places will not warranty parts unless they supply them. Check to be sure.
Cash is always the loud talker in the room. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Did you ask a cost breakdown of parts vs labor? What if you buy the part, cause he buys it at wholesale(ish) but then makes a buck selling it to ya.

I would be hard pressed to pay more than 80$hr for an independent mech-a-nic. I would pay Goober 100$/hr, that's about it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Where I worked a few years ago if you brought the parts I just was told to cahrge more in labor to make up the difference. It discouraged bringing in your own parts and a lot of times we just didn't so it for warranty issues. If you got a guy and your on a tight schedule it is time to at lleast try a little bargaining and see what happens!!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joker is right. I didn't want to mess around with buying a cheaper part for the slave and have it crap out its too much of a pita to get to. This way im covered. I will try and bargain with cash. I didn't have time to shop around also after Sandy, my regular shop is too busy still cleaning up.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I did one in my last YJ in about 3 hours in my driveway. Nick did mine in his driveway when he did my clutch and it didn't take more than an hour. Shouldn't be expensive or take too much time.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out there was water in the tranny and front diff. Apparently the vent hose had a hole in it. Vent hose replaced, front diff drained and greased, tranny drained and greased. Wondering now if there was no issue with the slave and it was just water in the system.

So mad.... Sandy has not only damaged my Jeep but my house too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts