Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option to replace my Dana 35 in the back. Its between the ford 8.8 or the Dana 44 which one is my best option?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to school right now for welding and I plan on regearing to either 4.11 or 4.56 I got a 3 inch lift and am sitting on 33s.

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
well you're going to have to regear either way then, most 8.8's have 4.10 gears already
that may work depending on your trans

most d44s that are reasonably priced are 3.73 because people treat the rubi axles like gold

a lot of the 8.8's have lsd already installed

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the option to replace my Dana 35 in the back. Its between the ford 8.8 or the Dana 44 which one is my best option?
If you can find a D44 for a reasonable price I would suggest that route. I unfortunately could not so I went with an 8.8.. The only issue I have with my 8.8 is reduced ground clearance under the diff. The 8.8's offset diff and the slightly narrower overall width are not a problem.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
If you can find a D44 for a reasonable price I would suggest that route. I unfortunately could not so I went with an 8.8.. The only issue I have with my 8.8 is reduced ground clearance under the diff. The 8.8's offset diff and the slightly narrower overall width are not a problem.
*cough*bigger tires*cough*

;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
right now i have an 8.8 in my tj and i would go with a 44 i have had a couple problems with my 8.8. i had the ring gear bolts loosen and all fall out. luckily i didnt cause any serious damage to my eaton e locker. ripped the wires from the magnet device and had to replace the stator. but when i started reading this seems to happen often in 8.8s. if your not gonna run any larger than 35s in the future the 44 is plenty strong enough. another thing to think about is the cost of brackets, and a new shaft or having a new yoke put on your current shaft. also the 8.8 is a flange style yoke so you will have to get the mating flange piece for your shaft as well. those are just some things to think about. also the 8.8 is 1.5 narower than a 44 and in most cases doesnt seem like much but when i streatched and relocated my shocks to outside the frame when im at max flex my tire likes to rub on the shock. not a big deal i just dont like it. i will be gettin 1 inch spacers soon to correct that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
if you can fing a cheap d44 go that route... but since you can weld , an 8.8 would amlost surely be more bang for your buck

·
Knows a couple things...
49,383 Posts
*cough*bigger tires*cough*

;)
Sure but it takes a bigger tire size requiring a lower axle gear ratio to obtain the same ground clearance of a D44. If I had an 8.8, I'd probably need a 37" tire to equal the ground clearance my 35" tires provide. And neither a Dana 30 nor a Rubicon front Dana 44 is up to a 37" tire. :)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Sure but it takes a bigger tire size requiring a lower axle gear ratio to obtain the same ground clearance of a D44. :)
Hey...I dont wanna hear any of this "logical" stuff :rofl:

As far as the 8.8...I am running 35s and an 8.8. There have been times I have had the pumpkin sitting pretty firm on a rock...but rarely it has snagged so bad that it kept me from moving. In most cases I've had enough traction with my tires that I was able to just drag the diff over the rock. The 8.8 is kind of a pig, but not obnoxious.

The way I see it...if you can weld or have a buddy who can, build an 8.8. They are cheap and abundant and relatively easy to get rolling under the jeep. When I was looking, I couldnt find a bolt in 44 that was a reasonable price...they were like gold.

If you dont have access to a welder, do your searching for a 44. It will probably save you some money and will get you by just fine :thumb:.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would have loved a 44 but price and availability dictated me to the 8.8. It is 5/8'' lower than the 44 but the axle tubes are wider / thicker. I am happy with my choice and don't regret it.

I went 4.10's and except for towing my pop up in the mountains I am very happy with the gearing. If I do move to 35's I will regear to 4.88 though.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

I got my 8.8 (with lsd), 4.88 gears, and chromoly front shafts installed for 2000 OTD...that prices includes all parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
well you're going to have to regear either way then, most 8.8's have 4.10 gears already
that may work depending on your trans

most d44s that are reasonably priced are 3.73 because people treat the rubi axles like gold

a lot of the 8.8's have lsd already installed
4.10 isn't common at all, 3.73 is the most common ratio for the 8.8.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts