Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm neck deep into my build (92, I6, Auto, adding 2.5 inch lift), about waist deep I decided that I didn't want to put the rusty D35 back in and got an 8.8. The decision came after I had taken the d35 out by cutting the leaf springs since the bolts were seized and I got frustrated messing with it.

My questions is: What is the best way to get the pinion angle before I weld the perches on the 8.8? Should I use the d35 until I get the motor and body back on the frame, measure and then weld the perches on?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Get an angle locator, mock axle perches and springs up loose. Check angles, tack perches, take it out and weld it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Just bolt the 8.8 in snuggly and eyeball the pinion at the back of the T-case yoke. I think I used a stick or tape measure to help get the angle right.

Snug up the U-bolts more, cycle the suspension a few times (jump on the bumper), and then recheck.

If good, then tack on the perches and the shock mounts. Pull the axle, and finish weld.

I don't think I used an angle meter for anything, but I could be forgetting. I did use it after tacking the perches, just to confirm that the perches were the same angle.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ideally, you would set the pinion angle with all the weight on the springs. The weight of the tub would throw off your pinion angle. You could guess at it with the tub off, but I would just install the 8.8 later. Use the Dana 35 for now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I loaded the back of my jeep with about 200lbs+ before tacking the perches in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts